Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Dumb crooks tried to steal our 4x4 utility vehicle

Last weekend someone pretty dumb tried to steal our Cub 4x4 utility vehicle.
We have it on a 150 acre, land clearing job. It is locked in a steel shipping container. Well, they cut the lock off the container and took off toward the back of the property with it. As they were trying to find a place to cross the creek back there, they high centered it on a tree stump. They then went off and left it there.
I found it by the creek on Monday, and wondered why they abandoned it, when they almost had made their getaway. Then I noticed a big circle of spin marks all around the vehicle. They had spun it in circles trying to get off that short stump, but it was high centered on it. So they just left it there.
What is funny, is that it is so lightweight that one or two people can easily lift up the rear or front to set it off the stump. In fact, I lifted it off myself.
Thank goodness for DUMB crooks.
We now have new high dollar, high strength locks on that container.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Last weekend someone pretty dumb tried to steal our Cub 4x4 utility vehicle.
We have it on a 150 acre, land clearing job. It is locked in a steel shipping container. Well, they cut the lock off the container and took off toward the back of the property with it. As they were trying to find a place to cross the creek back there, they high centered it on a tree stump. They then went off and left it there.
I found it by the creek on Monday, and wondered why they abandoned it, when they almost had made their getaway. Then I noticed a big circle of spin marks all around the vehicle. They had spun it in circles trying to get off that short stump, but it was high centered on it. So they just left it there.
What is funny, is that it is so lightweight that one or two people can easily lift up the rear or front to set it off the stump. In fact, I lifted it off myself.
Thank goodness for DUMB crooks.
We now have new high dollar, high strength locks on that container.
WOW what luck! We went to ABUS locks after we got hit the first time. No more messing around with security. If it ain't nailed down, it'll get stolen sooner or later!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, it is really getting worse here, as far as thefts go. Nothing is really safe anymore it seems.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow your lucky. was there any damage to the under carriage? I tell you what we have a mule on our farm and the only way I have every got it stuck was when it high centered on a fallen tree. I have to pull my four wheeler out of the mud all the time with it. Its like those jeeps with the bumper stickers that say "official HUMMER recovery vehicle" but for me its "official four-wheeler recovery vehicle". Anyway glad to hear you got it back. Btw how did the thieves know it was in the container?

Encore Walkbehinds, Great Dane Surfer
Stihl Trimmers, Blower, Chainsaws
98 Toyota 4-runner
85 Ford F350 Diesel, 10'x 7.5' Dump Bed
94 Bobcat 7753

Old 06-27-2008, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy1285 View Post
back. Btw how did the thieves know it was in the container?
Thieves and burglars watch your habits. I was broken into just before last Christmas. I leave the house every morning at 5:00 AM and come back from Mc Donalds around 7:00AM.

The ones (2) got my plasma 42" TV and some tools. I found the TV in a pawn shop and traced the thieves down. One was a neighbor 2-doors up the street. He knew my habits.

Nosmo
Old 06-27-2008, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmo View Post
Thieves and burglars watch your habits. I was broken into just before last Christmas. I leave the house every morning at 5:00 AM and come back from Mc Donalds around 7:00AM.

The ones (2) got my plasma 42" TV and some tools. I found the TV in a pawn shop and traced the thieves down. One was a neighbor 2-doors up the street. He knew my habits.

Nosmo
wow that's hardcore! Did you trace them down yourself or with the help of the police?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Glad they weren't smart enough to get away with it, its crazy how bad it is starting to get out there in this crazy world.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmo View Post

Nosmo
So what happened? Did you show up with a beat-down-stick or call the cops? I'd go for vigilante justice myself. Catch the guy in public and knock his jaw off....I'd also probably dump my clippings and debris on his lawn every day until he moved.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Put a kill switch somewhere they cant see or susppect one to be. It may make them panic when it doesnt start and they realize they're gonna have to screw around with it to steal it. We have them installed on all of our equipment. Saved me a Skid steer and a R/t backhoe so far. It'll cost you 10-15 bucks.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is construction all around this property. Lots of laborers at these jobs. I think they have been watching us work and knew what was in there. We had the container moved up near the main road right by a street light. With the new locks, and the visibility, I think we are ok now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy1285 View Post
Wow your lucky. was there any damage to the under carriage? I tell you what we have a mule on our farm and the only way I have every got it stuck was when it high centered on a fallen tree. I have to pull my four wheeler out of the mud all the time with it. Its like those jeeps with the bumper stickers that say "official HUMMER recovery vehicle" but for me its "official four-wheeler recovery vehicle". Anyway glad to hear you got it back. Btw how did the thieves know it was in the container?