Register free!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Ortho Groundclear- How Dangerous?

I would first off like to introduce myself and say hello. I found this site while looking for information on lawn care and it looks to be an excellent resource for land and hardscaping.

I recently purchased some Ortho Groundclear to use on a slate patio that I have in my backyard. The vegetation killing, year long protection sounded good. However, after reading the label (something I always do now) I noticed that in the disclaimer, it explains that you shouldn't spray Groundclear within twice the diameter of the trunk of any trees as well as the drip zone which is visually shown as the area covered by the canopy.

Here's the catch- on either side of my patio are two MASSIVE oak trees. They are amazing and provide the back patio with great shade, aka "drip zone."

The LAST thing I want to do is spray this Groundclear, kill the weeds and somehow damage the oaks. Should I use a weaker weed killer (Round up) on this patio instead of the more potent Groundclear because of these trees?

I have included a picture of the patio to show the proximity of the oaks to the patio and weeds in question.

Thanks for any advice you could provide.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

yes... i think it would be very bad to put the ground clear down in that area. use repeated doses of Roundup.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do NOT use the Ground Clear here! It will enter the root system of those oaks and cause some damage! This stuff is potent, and will leach into the root systems of nearby trees and shrubs, as it does have a long residual.

The right product here, on the retail Home Depot/ Lowes level is "Extended Control RoundUp". Safe to use near established shrubs and trees, but has to be used about every 2 months (not the 4 months they claim).

Thank goodness you read the label...... far too many people don't.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as you are just doing the cracks, you should be ok. Don't go crazy with the stuff. It is a ground sterilant and it will kill the trees if you go too heavy with it but if you just spray the stuff you want dead with little to no extra drips off the plants after they are sprayed.

Otherwise, go to Lesco and buy some ProDeuce and spray it. It is a pre/post emergent.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
As long as you are just doing the cracks, you should be ok. Don't go crazy with the stuff. It is a ground sterilant and it will kill the trees if you go too heavy with it but if you just spray the stuff you want dead with little to no extra drips off the plants after they are sprayed.

Otherwise, go to Lesco and buy some ProDeuce and spray it. It is a pre/post emergent.
That light foliar spraying technique defeats the purpose of Ground Clear as a pre-emergent herbicide.... if it is to applied as per label instructions for maximum pre-emergent effectiveness, the ground (growing medium) must be soaked. Much better to use RoundUp if it is going to be applied as a foliar spray.... and much cheaper. It's the wrong control here..... sure, if it's not applied as per the label, just a leaf wetting, it will do what most post-emergent non-selective herbicides will do... kill what is up and growing. Waste of money.... Roundup will do the same thing at less than half the cost.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
That light foliar spraying technique defeats the purpose of Ground Clear as a pre-emergent herbicide.... if it is to applied as per label instructions for maximum pre-emergent effectiveness, the ground (growing medium) must be soaked. Much better to use RoundUp if it is going to be applied as a foliar spray.... and much cheaper. It's the wrong control here..... sure, if it's not applied as per the label, just a leaf wetting, it will do what most post-emergent non-selective herbicides will do... kill what is up and growing. Waste of money.... Roundup will do the same thing at less than half the cost.
Thanks Whitey I thought it might have to be put down like prodiamine but figured if he were to use it like Roundup there would be enough residual to keep it down for a few months.

Listen to Whitey, he is a licensed applicator. I am not for lawns, just for flowerbeds at this point and brand newly licensed at that.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Do NOT use the Ground Clear here! It will enter the root system of those oaks and cause some damage! This stuff is potent, and will leach into the root systems of nearby trees and shrubs, as it does have a long residual.

The right product here, on the retail Home Depot/ Lowes level is "Extended Control RoundUp". Safe to use near established shrubs and trees, but has to be used about every 2 months (not the 4 months they claim).

Thank goodness you read the label...... far too many people don't.
Whitey4,

You saved the Day.....And a tree.

Thank You.

Pete
Old 06-28-2008, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ground Clear is imazapyr, that is not something to be used within the root zone of desirable trees. I am constantly amazed by what is sold to homeowners. Imazapyr is Arsenal herbicide. This is used to kill EVERYTHING in right of ways, industrial areas and noncrop areas. There is a product called WeedStop or WeedStopper. This is oryzalin, a preemergent herbicide designed for use around trees and desirable plants. At the right dose, most weeds do not emerge for an entire season. This a a good thing to use with RoundUp, because it has no effect on emerged weeds.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

tallguylehigh

I have a customer who Didn't Read or understand a Label and applied Shara to his landscapes beds in hopes of not having to spray Roundup as often. He now in the slow process of affording to removing over 20 pine trees in the 40 ft tall range. When treating his property just two days ago, I saw he planned to expensive Palm trees and I don't believe enough time has past.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Ground Clear is imazapyr, that is not something to be used within the root zone of desirable trees. I am constantly amazed by what is sold to homeowners. Imazapyr is Arsenal herbicide. This is used to kill EVERYTHING in right of ways, industrial areas and noncrop areas. There is a product called WeedStop or WeedStopper. This is oryzalin, a preemergent herbicide designed for use around trees and desirable plants. At the right dose, most weeds do not emerge for an entire season. This a a good thing to use with RoundUp, because it has no effect on emerged weeds.

Round-Up + Surflan (Oryzalin) is the way to go! When I can't afford any weeds, I also add some Gallery to cover more broadleaf weeds