Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-08-2002, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Advertising ?

I was contacted by phone by a company that places benches at busy stores with a 1 x 2 foot add on the backs.
The price fot these ads is 195.00 one time charge benches to be on display for 2 years .what do you all think do this are not?
Old 01-08-2002, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

2 years?

You cant go wrong purchasing two year advertising that is seen 24/7 for 195.00 this sounds like a definate value.josh
Old 01-08-2002, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's like only .30cents a day. For 24/7 advertising that CHEAP. A real steal. I'd do it without even thinking twice about it. I myself have thought about it, but never really checked into it. At that PRICE I think I'll be looking real hard to find out WHO to contact to advertise that way. Sounds to good to be true if you know what I mean.

Good Luck,
Mowman
P.S. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it sounds like a great deal. But let's consider it further. Who are you marketing to? In my case, my primary market is upper class residential customers. Now, does this group of people usually find services for their property from signs on benches? I bet the answer is a resounding, No. I bet less than 1/10 of 1% of the people in this catagory in my area found ANY of the services they use from a bench sign.

Does that mean it's totally useless? Not necessarily. If you did this in several places around town it could do a good job of getting your company more name recognition. But I think that's about the most you could hope for. I sincerely doubt many people are going to call you from a bench sign. Not to be pessimistic. I am one of the most optimistic people there are. But I don't think this kind of marketing fits our desired consumer very well.

I'll guarantee ya this - There are way better marketing tools where you could get a better Return-On-Investment for $195. For instance, for $40 I can print up 2000 of my flyers. For another $155 I can pay two guys to hand most of them out. And from those flyers I'd bet you anything I'll get more response inside of a month than you'd get from your bench in two years. And I'll be targeting the neighborhoods I want to work in.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-09-2002, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds dirt cheap and I would buy that add. All I can tell you about advertising is...
get your freakin name out there to as many people as possible, b/c they can't hire you if they haven't heard of you.
Get it.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since landscaping services are seldom an "impulse buy" type of scenario, you have to think exposure. My local paper calls this TOMA for top of mind awareness. That way, when they need something, your name is not a stranger. Thinking that people in that middle to upper class target area do frequent malls, especially the females, makes exposure in this are very positive. If it were a bus stop I think I'd pass.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:12 AM

I have to agree with both angles provided here. On one hand it is very inexpensive, which makes it attractive. On the other hand, where is the ad going to be placed? Will your desired prospects actually see it? However, if you are willing to field the calls, why not try it. It sounds like an excellent branding opportunity. You never know when that property manager is going to be rolling down that street hanging up his/her cell phone from firing his current lawn and landscape service provider, and bingo - they see your name. Stranger things have happened. When I had my business, I was at a professional sporting event. I called the main office and called the PR people from my cell phone. I told them my company was having a company picnic that day at the game and I wanted to know if they could mention us. Sure enough, half way through the game, over the loud speaker and on the side scoreboard comes an announcement welcoming us to the park. When I say "us" there was only 4 of us. The next day I received a phone call from someone saying they heard our name at the game and wanted to know if I could provide an estimate. That person was an agent for some of the athletes. Turned into a $12,000 a year maintenance account and lots of free tickets. It's a small world. Give it a shot.

Sean Adams
Old 01-13-2002, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i agree i would especially in front of busy grocery store. this is cheap way of getting and keeping your name out there.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This sounds like an inexpensive way to at the very minimum get some name recognition.
My biggest question would be is it in a part of town where the profile of your typical customer would be found shopping? There are areas around here if they placed the benches at it would make more sense to use the money for a charitable contribution....if you know what I mean.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
where do you want to work?

Any advertising probably has some value and we shouldn't close our minds to different idea's but, how many services have you purchased responding to a bench ad? I agree with jim about the flyers. If you spend your $195 on door hangers you can target an area where you are already successfull . By concentrating on a smaller area you become familiar to potential customers quicker. The bench ad seems too much of a shotgun approach to me.