Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2008, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

"Carry On" Trailers at Lowes

I HAVE to get an enclosed trailer for next year. I saw this 12 foot long white "Carry On" model at Lowes for 3k. Anyone own one? Comments? It looks like a solid trialer, good heavy duty ramp back door.... looking for feedback before I buy it. TIA!
Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to a real trailer dealer and compare the frames. None of the carry ons that I looked at this spring had full tube frame beyond the tongue on open trailers. I went with a trinity instead, couldn't be happier. Just remember, you'll get what you pay for.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
I HAVE to get an enclosed trailer for next year. I saw this 12 foot long white "Carry On" model at Lowes for 3k. Anyone own one? Comments? It looks like a solid trialer, good heavy duty ramp back door.... looking for feedback before I buy it. TIA!

I took a chance on one and love it. On my third year with it with no complaints. The only thing i would have done different is go bigger. But because i have an open i decided to just get the black 6X12. I dont know what mower you will be using. The door opening doesnt give much room. You wont get anything bigger than a 52" in there and thats why i may have done things different. Because i am considering a 61" now. But i keep my ferris is1500 52/25 in that trailer and have to fold up the chute each time to enter the trailer.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 06-29-2008, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

stay

Stay away from Lowes or HD for your trailers, they are junk, take a picture of it and go to your local trailer suppy and you will see what I mean, lights are cheaper, frames, hinges, screws...all cheap junk at HD or Lowe's.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I bought my trailer I bought it from a local dealer who that's all he sells and works on all day long. This way when I need tires I know whom to ask the questions concerning load ratings, and anytime something goes wrong with it I also know right away who would most likely figure out the problem real quick like.

And one might think with these simple devices there aren't many problems and this much is true, but entirely trouble free they're not. And when I have a problem with it, so long they're not super busy I almost never have to wait long, it is fixed and fast and it doesn't usually cost me an arm and a leg in "well it took us two hours to locate the problem" fees.

And yes I paid a little more for mine than the same size at HD or Lowe's, but guess who mounted my spare tire on mine for about half the price everyone else quoted me? Because it didn't come with a spare, but all it took was one flat and I was convinced mine needed one lol.

So the man I bought my trailer from knows his stuff, what it boils down to.
And that alone is worth the extra upfront cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2 View Post
Stay away from Lowes or HD for your trailers, they are junk, take a picture of it and go to your local trailer suppy and you will see what I mean, lights are cheaper, frames, hinges, screws...all cheap junk at HD or Lowe's.
Yeah they're not the same thing, those trailers are mostly made for folks who might use that trailer maybe one or two dozen times a year and they serve this purpose well, so you're getting what you pay for.

And they might last so many years there's no telling, but way things are looking after 6 years I think I'm getting at least 10-12 years out of mine and I'm hoping it lasts 15-20, with every day use.

Last edited by topsites; 06-29-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
When I bought my trailer I bought it from a local dealer who that's all he sells and works on all day long. This way when I need tires I know whom to ask the questions concerning load ratings, and anytime something goes wrong with it I also know right away who would most likely figure out the problem real quick like.

And one might think with these simple devices there aren't many problems and this much is true, but entirely trouble free they're not. And when I have a problem with it, so long they're not super busy I almost never have to wait long, it is fixed and fast and it doesn't usually cost me an arm and a leg in "well it took us two hours to locate the problem" fees.

And yes I paid a little more for mine than the same size at HD or Lowe's, but guess who mounted my spare tire on mine for about half the price everyone else quoted me? Because it didn't come with a spare, but all it took was one flat and I was convinced mine needed one lol.

So the man I bought my trailer from knows his stuff, what it boils down to.
And that alone is worth the extra upfront cost.

Yeah they're not the same thing, those trailers are mostly made for folks who might use that trailer maybe one or two dozen times a year and they serve this purpose well, so you're getting what you pay for.

And they might last so many years there's no telling, but way things are looking after 6 years I think I'm getting at least 10-12 years out of mine and I'm hoping it lasts 15-20, with every day use.

I think most people can mount their own spare tires. What i like about the trailer is what you dislike about it. Its lighter duty. It weighs less. Easier on the truck and saves some fuel. For hauling mowers around its great. Its only been detached from my truck maybe 6 times in 3 years. It sees everyday use flawlessly. Bought mine at tractor supply. black/chrome diamond plate fenders and rock guard and LED lights.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 06-29-2008, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the thoughts and replies. I have smallish equipment, smallish lawns and a tight (no highway travel) routes. I have a 32, a 21 and see nothing bigger that a 36 WB in my future. If I can get 5 years out of it and sell it for 1/3 of what I paid for it new (3k) that's less than $500 a year for an enclosed trailer bottom line. Being a solo with no more than 25 mow and blows, a light duty trailer might be a better choice for me.

Half of my income is from apps and installs. Mowing isn't where my profits are, but I have to do some mow and blow accounts to keep the other stuff coming in.

I can haul shrubs and trees in the pickup.... and when fully loaded my equipment might weigh 1000 lbs at most for the trailer.

I think it might be a good buy for a new LCO such as myself looking for an upgrade over the crappy little trailer I have now. Spending another 2 grand more for a better trailer now.... well, it isnt in the budget.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

tough

Times are tough, take a copy of the price of the Lowe's trailer to your local trailer shop, it might surprize you that he can match or come very close to the price.....would you buy a mower from HD or Lowe's?? Why a trailer??
Hey its your money.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Look around at used trailers. There are tons on the market right now. I just picked up a 7x12 V-nose (13'6" total interior) 3.5K drop torsion axle, electric brakes, ramp, side door, diamond plate box on the tongue, polished aluminum wheels, spare, 5K D-rings every 16" in the floor, barely used for $2500. Made by guys locally so service is no problem. New price was $4,300.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

do it right the first time. Wells Cargo. Its double the price, but you get what you pay for.

Those are cheap trailers, not built for our use. IMO spend 3,000 extra and do it right the first time.