Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2008, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Advertising Help

Im trying to start up my own landscaping business again. I have hung up ton's of flyers and have got no bites at all. I recently left my cousin's landscaping company to work for the state, but now i need a little side cash cuz the state doesn't pay as good as my cousin. I still have all my equipment and access to more so thats not a problem. I just need to get some side jobs. Anybody have other idea's on how to get your name out there and/or what worked? I had though about getting some signs made for my truck? Thanks
Old 06-29-2008, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

local paper
Old 06-29-2008, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

it takes time, be patient, i had the most luck with flyers (percentage of call back), local paper is good but check to see if there is a ton of other companys in it before you pay for an add in it because some times there is to many other LCO's and it is just a waste, but a nice little add, it a local try town paper wouldn't hurt, if you get one job from it, the add pays for its self. the local tri town paper that i advertise in, is called the "Advisor", i run a business card size add, the paper comes out once per week, and if you do four or more weeks, it is $27 per week, plus tax, this is by far the cheapest rates for a news paper, because the other paper i called for just one town, also comes out once per week, and the same add was like a $100 per week. also don't even try the yellow pages, it is extremly expensive for the year, probally a thousand dollars plus for a business card size, and you get next to no calls and the calls you do get are looking for the lowest bidder in history, and the add definatly does not pay for its self. but go for flyers, you would be suprised how people actually save them, i haven't done flyers in a few years because i have been busy enough, but i still get calls from flyers that i passed out almost 5 years ago. alot of people put all those types of flyers in a folder, and then pull them out several years later when they need something. but once you get a couple jobs under your belt, you get the "word of mouth" and then things will start to fall into place. good luck, hope you do well.
8ft Meyer Plow
1998 GMC 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel Ext Cab Short Bed
8ft Fisher Plow
1995 GMC 3500 5.7 Gas SRW Reg Cab Long Bed
8.5ft Meyer Plow - 8ft SS Henderson Sander
2003 Big Tex 6 1/2' x 16' 7,000 gvw Open Trailer
2001 Big Tex 6' x 12' 3,000 gvw Open Trailer
Old 06-30-2008, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

What works best is a good word of mouth of course, but start by talking directly to some people (door to door). Local paper helps as well and try craigslist, that free and I got a number of customers through that as well.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLLServicesCT View Post
What works best is a good word of mouth of course, but start by talking directly to some people (door to door). Local paper helps as well and try craigslist, that free and I got a number of customers through that as well.
Ah my pet peeve: Word of mouth works best, but is it NOT the primary means of advertising with ANY company. Dont get this confused.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

local paper&flyers word of mouth to
craftsman 22 in with bagger
craftsman 42 in rider
BG55 Stihl Leaf Blower
Toro 21 Inch with Bagger
John Deere Z425 with mulch kit
john deer z425 54 in deck
BR600 Stihl Backpack
Stihl FS90 Trimmer With Brush cutter attatchment
Stihl FS-90Trimmer W/Edger attatchment
Stihl fs-90 Trimmer
crap load of hand tools
PA065297
www.dunlapslawncare.com
Old 11-08-2008, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoom View Post
Im trying to start up my own landscaping business again. I have hung up ton's of flyers and have got no bites at all. I recently left my cousin's landscaping company to work for the state, but now i need a little side cash cuz the state doesn't pay as good as my cousin. I still have all my equipment and access to more so thats not a problem. I just need to get some side jobs. Anybody have other idea's on how to get your name out there and/or what worked? I had though about getting some signs made for my truck? Thanks
Put an Ad in the local paper, Put Flyers up in the local stores, Pass your flyers out in the neighborhoods you want to work in. alot of Buisnesses like insurance companies will let you put some buisness cards on thier counters..
Old 11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Sponsor

Try and network with other service guys Pest control, cleaning, or pool service if their in the neighborhoods you want to work in.

Buy Sell & Trade Lawn & landscaping route accounts. The online market place for route accounts.
http://Tradeyouraccounts.com
http://facebook.com/ServiceRoutes
http://twitter.com/ServiceRoutes
Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't overlook the value of postcards. They are a low cost, high impact form of direct mail advertising. You could design them yourself and have a local print shop print them for you, or have someone else design them and even do the mailing labels for you. You could mail 100 small-size postcards for $27.00 or the large-size for $42.00. If you have a target audience that you would like to reach, mail the first 100 postcards to that group of people.