Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

no idea, but more than ready to learn.

hey. my bf has been working for a landscaping and snowremoval company for 3yrs now and he loves the job, but can't stand the way the boss runs the company.
we now want to start our own company. he is very driven and is great at what he does, and i love hard work.
my question is: Where do we start??
We were thinking business loan first. see what we can get approved for. then advertising ( i know a cheap website for that), check local landscapers prices then compete, then equipment, then bid on contracts. we have no idea where to go to bid on local contracts. any ideas?
there are sooo many things we are thinking about and i know we need to be careful not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but i think its possible to think too much and scare ourselves out of doing it! we want this soo bad we just don't know where to start?
please help! sorry for the story!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I've read multiple times on this forum, don't get a loan if you don't have to, just start small and work your way up. That way if you get halfway through and decide you don't want to do it (it does happen) you won't have to pay back a huge loan.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Use this. Search any questions you have. Chances are they have been answered at least once. http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php
Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Start out with good commercial equipment. This saves money in the long run.
eXmark Lazer Z 60's, Lazer XS 72, and Lazer HP 46's
Stihl FS 130 and 80s, FC 110 and 75s, HL 100s, and BR-420 Magnum and 600s
Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The BEST thing you can do for yourselves just staring out is stay with Residential lawns for at least the first two years, then as you gain the experience and your company name gets out there start moving into the commerical market as well. Try Not to take out loans for any amount you can't afford to pay off very Quickly ! Best to get the best equipment you can afford Now and then work your way up as you gain work and the money starts to come in. For Advertising put and ad in the local paper, the phone book, make some flyers and pass them through the neighborhoods you're looking to get into, when you;re ready to move into the commercial market start making cold calls to every buisness in town that has lawn or landscape areas that need to be maintained. Do good work and word of mouth will take care of the rest.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

we have spoken to the city hall in our city that helps small buss. get started and after the meeting we felt better, more willing to take things slow do things right(so we think) and research and price out and do one thing at a time. we want this really bad and we hope if we use all the reasourses that are available to us then things might go much more smoothly than if we just jumped in. our first step is to price out equip, and then advertise, and then work. the industry is saturated in our area we wanna make it!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bought a 32 Metro to start. Never took out a loan. Grandpa said pay as you go. Keep the day job and let your bf handle it at first. Phone will not ring off the wall to begin with. When things pick up and bf is a little short of time and is beginning to get pressed to get it all done, then you can help on some of the work, slowly break into the business full-time, you will know when to quit the day job.

BTW, I am shocked at the amount of commercail mowing that is being done with residential riders (Craftsman, Murray, Troy-bilt etc.) here. It has to be making some money because there is so prevalent. Yeah, I'm going to get pummeled for saying that but got my sword and shield at hand.