Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 01-09-2002, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Convince me to buy Magna-Matic!

I desperately need an easy to use blade sharpener and I use mulch blades which obviously have curves. I have tried grinding wheels and currently use handheld angle grinder but feel that I am butchering my blades. Please tell me what makes your product better than others on the market. Is the 8000 the only one that will sharpen the mulch blades, and if so, why is it more expensive by $400? I need the cost to be justified. Please respond! Thanks!
Old 01-09-2002, 05:25 PM
Sponsor

Reasons for the MAG-8000's higher price

There are a number of reasons why the MAG-8000 is more expensive than the MAG-9000, i will list some of the main reasons below.

The first major price increaser is the difference in motors between the two models.

MOTOR SIMILARITIES
Both motors are LEESON electric motors, 115 V, 60 Hz, single phase, totally enclosed, fan cooled, 3450 RPM.

MOTOR DIFFERENCES
MAG-8000 - 1 HP, Continious duty, C-flange, dual capacitor, solid-state switch (for immediate start up)

MAG-9000 - 1/2 HP, Standard duty, foot mount, single capacitor.

The next price difference is the transmission of power. The MAG-8000 has the toothed pulley and belt drive. This allows you to get the grinding wheel away from the motor so that you have greater visiblity of your work space, and ease of sharpening all types of blades. You will notice that to sharpen either right or left handed blades in the MAG-8000 is very easy, you simply stand i either side of the machine. The MAG-9000 has a direct motor mount drive.

NEXT, the MAG-8000 is a larger faster machine that gives you the ability to sharpen almost any blade produced, and its patented design is able to keep the same angle across the length of the edge which no other sharpener manufacturer can do.
The MAG-8000 is larger it simply requires more materials, the MAG-8000 is 75 lbs where the MAG-9000 is only 50 lbs.

All of our products are warranted for 1 year, and you can ask anyone who has purchased a MAGNA-MATIC product about the quality and our dedication to the customer. If a customer ever has a problem with a product of ours it is resolved immediatly. We will almost always return phone calls, lawnsite.com forum posts, and emails in the same day or sooner.

One more important point, you will find that none of our competators will offer a 30 day money-back guarrantee. No matter why a customer may not like the machine we will gladly take it back. Needless to say this does not happen often.

If you have to sharpen a large amount of blades, or many different types of blades, there is only one sharpener for you,

THE MAG-8000 UNIVERSAL MOWER BLADE SHARPENER!

To see more pictures and info on this sharpener click on the link below.

http://www.magna-matic.com/products/...s/mag8000.html

Thank you for your question,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 01-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Sponsor

Another Reason

Take a peek at our website, you will see under our MAGNA-MATIC NEWS, that OPE magnazine has named the MAG-8000 Universal Blade Sharpener, "One of the Coolest Products of 2001."

http://www.magna-matic.com/main.html

The MAG-8000 is on the cover of the January 2002 issue of OPE magazine.

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
Old 02-18-2002, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I currently own a RBG and am thinking about purchasing a different motor for it I was thinking about uping the RPM's to what you offer and changing the grinding wheel to one of yours. It looks like this can be accomplished fairly easily. Can you give me a reason why I shouldn't do this? Have you guys thought about offering a retro-fit kit for current RBG owners that would like the added RPM's and quickness of your product? I realize there would be legal and liability concerns but I think those could be overcome. Just an idea.
14ft Trailer
Ryan Lawnaire
Old 02-18-2002, 07:43 PM
Sponsor

Retro-fitting

Thank you for your post.

Well, to begin. The legal liablity is more that you would think, and we have investigated it. Legally and from a design perspective.

An analogy for this "retro-fit" would be like asking someone to take a home-owner riding mower and "retro-fitting" it to become a commerical mower. There are just too many things that need changing to achieve the same or near the same results.

To start their motor mounting design is very different from ours they could use our MAG-9000 motor but the shaft would be too short, because they design their grinders with long shafts to be able to sharpen a long edge. But this long shaft is un-safe and a poor design. Our MAG-8000 motor is a C-FLANGE design, this would need an elaborate motor mounting bracket to be used with a RBG, and since the MAG-8000 is geared up for higher RPM with timing belts, this would be impossible with the RBG design.

NEXT, grinding wheel. They use "BENCH GRINDER WHEELS" we use "TOOL ROOM WHEELS." The main difference is the arbor hole size. Your RBG most likely has a 5/8" arbor hole, our grinders have a 1-1/4" arbor hole.

LASTLY, most of the RBG grinders are built quite light, this makes them very loud, our grinders are built much heavier, and more solidly, which keeps them very quite in operation. There is also the problem that RBG has very many models, which are all very similar except for physical size and price.

As i had mentioned earlier we researched a design for a retro-fit kit for RBG, and after we priced out all the parts needed to get close to a MAGNA-MATIC grinder, it ended up costing more than a new MAG-9000.

I would suggest to you what many of our customers have done. Find a home-owner who would like to sharpen his own blades, sell him your RBG and get a commercial MAGNA-MATIC sharpener.

I hope that i answered your question without sounding too much like a sales pitch, but we are very proud of the performance of our products.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to call, email or post them.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com