Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2002, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Web Pages

I'd like to know from the people who has one how much does it cost to have a web page, (Self design or pay to design it)any input i'd appreciate.

Thank you
Old 01-10-2002, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Costs vary greatly but if you shop around you can find good deals.

If you want a .com web site (e.g. yourmane.com) you have to pay like $35 per year just to own that name.

Next you have to build a web site. You can do it yourself and you can get a halfway decent web site. But if you really want a professional looking web site you've got to hire out. Now hiring out doesn't necessarily mean hiring some firm. Most of us know some serious computer geeks. Sometimes they are the best ones to do it (if they also have a little bit of an artistic eye). And they can do it for a lot less money than some firm. But ask to see pictures of web sites they've designed in the past or get a sample of what they'd do for you before you go ahead. I am fortunate in the fact that I have a relative who designs for a living. And I get a huge discount.

Finally, you've got to host your web site somewhere. Now, we are in the day of DSL and Cable modems that make your computer connected to the internet 24/7 so it is possible to use your own computer as the host. But I really don't recommend that. You can find good reliable hosting sites for as low as $10 a month. And they go much higher. They also charge based on how much work THEY have to do. If they just provide the space and you (or your computer geek friend) do the work of uploading the pages, etc. it's pretty affordable.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-10-2002, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a nice looking website you have Jim. Very professional looking, I like the Automatic Payments Service you have. You also do a nice job on the lawns. The before & after pictures look great.

Ryan
Old 01-10-2002, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually, you can have a .com web site (e.g. yourname.com) for $19 per year just to own that name.

I agree with Jim that if you really want a professional looking web site you've got to hire out. But keep in mind that prices vary GREATLY. Many "freelancers" charge a per page price, which is ridiculous since after the first page is done, the rest are already half done since they look (or should look) similar.

Quote:
Most of us know some serious computer geeks. Sometimes they are the best ones to do it
Business and friends don't always mix well. If your "computer geek" friend designs an awful looking site, you are going to have a hard time telling him that you don't like it. In fact, I know a guy who has a terrible site, yet his friend designed it, so to keep his friendship strong, his online business image suffers. In his words "my best friend does the site now, and I dont want to tick him off."

Jim makes another good point by saying "ask to see pictures of web sites they've designed in the past or get a sample of what they'd do for you before you go ahead."

And of the sites they have designed, do they look modern or like they where designed in '96. Trends change over time and the use of frames (where the top or side stays the same, and the pages load in the other part of the screeen) is no longer desired. While layers can add great effects and usefulness if done correctly.

We had a discussion about websites on plowsite awhile ago.
http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3893
Old 01-11-2002, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If you want a .com web site (e.g. yourmane.com) you have to pay like $35 per year just to own that name.
You can actually get the domain for as cheap as $8.95 a year through godaddy.com or $12.00 a year through 000domains.com. Never used godadddy.com but 000domains is a good company.

Another cost you will incur is a monthly cost to have your web site hosted, this of course varies widely on both price and quality of service.

If you want to create the site on your own, your costs for doing that are minimal. If you do not think you can create a professional appearence on your own, the price of a designer will vary greatly. We have a lot of companies we work with and if you are just looking for an informational site on your company, I would say $200 - $1000 would be a good range. But then again that depends on what you are looking for.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone heard of poweredby.com?

Hosting is $35 per year.

Is their something that my "experienced" web developer eyes are missing?
Old 01-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Banned

HEY!! Strider

Godaddy.com to register domain is ****!!!! Because have to pay transfer fee, No redirect and etc... I but I sign up at Http://namecheap.com is best easy to control transfer and have redirect. Try that out...

to register domain at Namecheap.com for only $8.88

--Also ... No unsponsored advertising please... thanks.

--MadLawn

Last edited by Administrator; 01-18-2002 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Last time I checked... I had over 50 domains registered through 000domains.com.

They have a great control panel.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Let's get ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have taken the chance of getting someone we know to make the site. Like the others have said, it's risky, but with gentle persuasion and a point in the right direction you will be surprised how it STILL LOOKS CRAPPY!!! Just Kidding - We went cheap & kept it simple, how can THAT go wrong?

I'll let you know when it is up and running. yea right...