Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 AM

What Does July 4th Mean?

I was poking around the internet this morning and was reading different articles and even forums checking to see what people had to say about the 4th of July and its meaning to them personally.

Wow, what an eye opener!

Some of the more common responses were....

Fireworks, Parties, Picnics, Off of Work, Time To Sleep In, Drinking.....

I understand that all of these things come with the 4th of July, but the question was "what does it mean?"....

So I am asking you, LawnSite members, what does the 4th of July mean to you?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you ever wondered what happened to those who signed the Declaration of Independence?
Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons in the Revolutionary Army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from their wounds or the hardships of the Revolutionary War. What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners, men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags. Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward. Vandals or soldiers, or both, looted the properties of Ellery, Clymer, Hall, Walten, Gwinnett, Heyward, Rutledge, and Middleton.
At the Battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr. noted that the British General Cornwallis, had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. The owner quietly urged General George Washington to open fire, which was done. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.
Francis Lewis had his home and his properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months. John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his grist mill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home after the war to find his wife dead, his children vanished. A few weeks later he died from exhaustion and a
broken heart. Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.
Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wildeyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft spoken men of means and education. They had security, but valued liberty more. Standing tall, straight, and unwavering, the pledged:
"For the support of this Declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred
honor."
They gave us an Independent America... Can We Keep It?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said treegal 1, I concur, in spades!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

................................................................................
Attached Images

Last edited by treegal1; 07-06-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its too bad our current congress lacks even an iota of similar fortitude and integrity...
Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Tree Gal is right on the money!

Problem is today most people don't think there is problem -or- it's just not that bad. By today's standards homeland security would have put all the founding fathers in Gitmo. Many . . . actually most people just wanted to go along to get along with the British they didn't want any trouble. The revolution was preached from the pulpits back in those days. Now a pastor today will loose his 501c3 status if he had been smart enough to openly support Ron Paul. Now that Chuck Baldwin has landed the Constitution Party nomination for president basically a virtual Ron Paul clone on most every issue the silence from the pulpits will deafening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Happens View Post
Its too bad our current congress lacks even an iota of similar fortitude and integrity...
Ron Paul is an exception. We had our chance to rally behind him for president but at least he will be in congress again.

Anyhow . . . I'll be voting for Chuck Baldwin in November

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with all. Seems nowadays, people forget & take too much for granted. "Remember the Alamo", "Remember Pearl Harbor", and even "Never Forget 911" are distant memories. Most Americans don't even know the words to the "poem" written by Frances Scott Key. Too many Americans have short memories and just don't even care.........sad. Anybody here raised by parents who grew up in the Great Depression? Probably not. I was, and I will always keep in mind the struggles our Forefathers endured. Our farm neighbors lost their lives in the "Battle of the Buldge" and on "Omaha Beach". Anybody with two legs, two eyes, etc should feel fortunate cuz millions of former Americans were not so lucky. I named our lawn/tree company "American" because I am one Patriot that will NEVER forget the sacrifices made by other "true" Americans until I die. BTW the "Flag" flies high 24/7 at both my business as well as our home.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should have amended my post, as I completely agree about Ron Paul. I voted for him in the primary and donated money to his cause. Although his message has yet to catch on with the masses, every strike of the clock brings us closer to sanity; I just fear the "it gets worse before it gets better" part..
Old 07-09-2008, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh my gosh it means getting an expensive prescription drug for the dog who is so afraid of the noise at night the doctor said it would be best if the animal were able to sleep through it, and somehow for many years after that I had very little appreciation for fireworks.

Even today I don't get the celebration aspect entirely,
I can tolerate a big fireworks show such as one that is
sponsored by a large organization and is held on the fair
grounds as an example, that is kind of neat...
But other than that what are we celebrating, and why?

I would think Independence and Freedom is something to be appreciated, for sure.
So it's a day off for me, which gives me time to think and reflect on things, and so on.

Last edited by topsites; 07-09-2008 at 04:15 PM.