Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2000, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you use for lawns that are burn-out, because of pet urine? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2000, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

The burt out spots are caused by the ammonia in the urine; Really high concentrations of Nitrogen. Usually on the edges of the burnt circle the grass is really green and taller than the rest. This is where the nitrogen has lost some strength and the plant is able to use it. What can be done?<p>There isn't much that can be done. One can move the dogs to a dogrun and limit the amount of time the animal has on the turf. Another option is to have the homeowner water the area thoroughly right were the dog urinated, right after the dog did it. Sorry, but i don't believe there is a magic solution to this problem.
Old 01-16-2000, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pet (usually female dog) urine burns are caused by salt content in urine, same as a fertilizer burn. Dark green border is from nutrient in urine, with lower salt concentration. The cure is time: as the salt is leached out of the soil, grass will return. <br>If it is a new homeowner, dead spots will dissappear in 6 mo (in bluegrass lawn, bunch type grasses may need seeding in spots). If dealing with the pet owner, usually is hopeless to control. My dog has a mulched area 4'x80' along a fence and 200 sqft behind my garage. These are shady areas where grass won't grow. Mulch keeps dog from tracking in mud, and the confined area makes it easy to police area. Just takes a little time when you get the dog to train it to the area you want.<br>Bottom line: can't have a nice lawn if you allow the dog to use entire lawn as potty.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN
Old 01-16-2000, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Member

You can also have the customer check with the Vet. I have a friend with two large dogs and he gives them some kind of suppliment that stops the urine burn on grass.<p><p>----------<br>Jeff<br>
Old 01-16-2000, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i agree with mwhc. i did a study on ammonia in female dog urine. and found out that if the food that is fed to the dog has a high protein content (nitrogenous compound)in it. the urine will burn the turf. i found that if i changed the diet of the dog (fed him a food with much lower % of meat products, that the burns were less. look on the lable it will list the meat bi-products in a % form.&quot; can&quot; food has a high % of meat. also the first pee of the morning is the strongist. see for yourself eat a 34 oz.piece of prime rib and take a leak in the morning. STINK ! take the dog out before night and at bed time you will notice the change in the burns. <p>questions like this realy help us thanks to tNt. check my question on 1/15 about leaf wetness any replys. <p><br>
Old 01-17-2000, 04:23 AM
LawnSite Member

There's a guy on TV, (I'm sure you've seen him) that uses all the stuff found in the household....soda, beer, urine, etc..., anyway, he had a show on the other day on PBS and was showing a mixture of things to help turf to recover from this damage, My wife had to call me during the middle of it, so I didn't catch the entire clip....thanks honey! If anyone has seen this let me know!<p><br>Kenr<br>Classic Landscape Services
Old 01-17-2000, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying that dog unine is ammonia urea? <p>Hmmm, I thought that was a harmful, synthetic, toxic chemical. And here is its produced from a &quot;natural&quot; source.<p>
Old 01-17-2000, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

KENR427 the guy your talking about on PBS is Jerry Baker. Look up at Jerrybaker.com<br>