Register free!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Polaris Ranger as Spray Rig

Hi Fellas.

I have been using my F250 with a boombuster out the side and floodjets out the back for spraying large areas of turf and non crop weed control. It works EXTREMELY well for 80% of the jobs I do, but I find myself in need of a lighter rig for turf and some of the rougher country. I have been looking at getting a Ranger and putting in an 80gal. tank with a Bean pump, Honda motor, hannay reel, and the same type of boom setup as the F250. The 80 gal would allow me 4 acres sprayed at 20 gal/acre or 3 acres at 25 gal same as the F250.

All filled up this spray rig would be about 900lbs as far as I can tell and would be pushing the 1,000lb capacity of the Ranger. I am curious if anyone has any experience with a Polaris Ranger being set up like this, and how well it does on turf.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Is anyone running a Polaris Ranger on turf?

Hows it do?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Higbean

I have a 5 wheel Gator, Yep it is very old and they haven't made 5 wheelers in quite a while. I don't know the year but it look bad and runs great. I have a 50 gallon tank on it. Full or empty the tank doesn't seem to make a big difference except on steep pond banks. It is full time 4 wheel drive but the wheels are set up in-depend of each other to make turning easier. However the drive wheels can be locked to gain traction if necessary. Because of the wider tires it runs well on turf without causing damage.

I friend does custom boom spraying on many golf courses. He uses a Isuzu NPR with turf tires. The tires have been a problem for him. First he drove to the job and changed tires. Then he trailered the NPR to the job. Now he has found a Road-Turf tire that is rather expensive and must be special ordered, but at a labor savings. Golf Course can be very picky. What type of property are you spraying and is there a Turf Tire Issue??? I am sure other member here would be interested in what market you can drive a road truck on to boom spray.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as turf, I have sprayed municipal golf courses, schools, sports complexes and city parks using my rig. It is not the best turf rig, but it will do the job if the customer is willing to work with me and dry things out a little. Parks are always dry enough as are schools. Golf courses can get the pucker factor up but I have only left ruts one time in a low spot in the rough.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Is this the kind of thing your are talking about
NorthStar ATV Sprayer with Boom-less Spray System — 26 Gallon, 4 GPM, 12 Volt

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200312195.htm

It has a left and right nozzle and will spray a 32 foot swath 24 inches above the ground
I tried to copy the picture but the site wouldn't let me, it basically a 24 gallon tank mounted on an ATV
Old 07-08-2008, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Sort of. I use a cable operated swivel to adjust boom nozzle height on the fly. I build my own rigs so not really looking to purchase anything. Just trying to figure out how a Polaris Ranger would do on turf all loaded down.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we use (well its been in the shop for a year) a polaris ranger 4x4 with a mini spreader on the back of it for sidewalks as such. it was a great little machine.
and traction was never a p[problem. we put turf tires on it in the summer months and it never left a mark towing a trailer full of mulch...
Old 07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think it would work very well for that. My gator is new, but I have already used it on 3 different properties for hauling mulch and dirt and it had no problems with traction. I think it would climb a tree if the bark would stay on it.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I use a Polaris X2 EFI 800 with a FIMCO boom-less sprayer (30' swath) and 25 gallon tank. I run standard tires on turf and it's no problem, because the transmission has "Turf" mode (open rear wheel drive). Needless to say it climbs and holds hills like a cat. I can go anywhere and never get stuck.

Tools of the trade:
FIMCO
GRASSHOPPER
KUBOTA TRACTOR
F450 DUMP
AERAVATOR
LAWNAIRE
SPYKER
STIHL
LS REVITALIZER
Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Member