Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First Post

Guess my first posting has to be somewhere and as I've been servicing and repairing gardens machinery since 1971 I figure here's the best place.
About me;
I live in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England.
Four kids, all grown up and left home.
Now fostering toddlers as it was too quiet in the house with the kids gone'
I do three days in the workshop and one day a week contract gardening.
The gardens here are not as large as the average American garden and everyone wants strips. The soil in most SE England in very good allowing for the grass to be cut to 1 to 1 1/2inches. Because of the size of gardens and the finnish people want most of the cutting is done with a Hayter Harrier 19" rotary with full width rear roller, some pics here (if I've loaded them right)

We try and visit friends in Westport Ct as often as we can, just love it in America. Sadly spend much of my time browsing machinery stores atb Phil

Old 07-08-2008, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Phil,
That's a nice looking lawn. A really tidy job. I live in Manchester, and you wouldn't believe how rough many of the gardens I get asked to do are. Some of them deserve to be on Crimewatch. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Phil great job on the lawn or (garden you call it), i own a snapper pro 21" rear bagger hi-vac mower, here in central pennsylvania, usa,and did'nt think you could lay a stripe that nice with a walk behind! by the way where is your mower made?

keep up the good job.

mike.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuanding View Post
Phil,
That's a nice looking lawn. A really tidy job. I live in Manchester, and you wouldn't believe how rough many of the gardens I get asked to do are. Some of them deserve to be on Crimewatch. Keep up the good work.
Thank you Yuandling, I agree there are some rough ol' gardens out there, and some of these fools think we'll work for two bob and hour that ani't gonna happen, hope you're having more sunshine up there than we are atb Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike r View Post
Phil great job on the lawn or (garden you call it), i own a snapper pro 21" rear bagger hi-vac mower, here in central pennsylvania, usa,and did'nt think you could lay a stripe that nice with a walk behind! by the way where is your mower made?

keep up the good job.

mike.
Hi Mike the mower I use is a British made (or assembled) Hayter Harrier

# Briggs & Stratton OverHead Valve Intek Edge 55 engine for maximum power
# 48cm width of cut
# 7 Cutting heights range from 13-65mm selected by a single counter-balanced lever
# Aluminium deck for durability
# Tough ABS underdeck liner for enhanced cut and collect performance, easy cleaning and noise reduction
# Fins fitted to front of deck which noticeably improves the quality of cut achieved
# Front Bumper bar fitted to deck to help minimise impact damage
# Steel ribbed roller for superior traction and traditional striped finish
# Handlebar supports for extra strength
# Operator Presence Control safety mechanism incorporated snugly into the handlebar which, when released, stops the mower completely

They retail over here for about £870 that's about $1600.

I'm sure that Hayter have a distributor in the US

tab Phil
Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Am I correct when I say theres no back wheels? Do you drag the back or lift it in the air?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhanson37 View Post
Am I correct when I say theres no back wheels? Do you drag the back or lift it in the air?
Out of view from the picture, under the rear of the deck there is a full width steel rear roller 6" diameter, the roller is power driven via a belt clutch. The machine weighs in at over 100lbs and would be a ***** to push without the power drive. This machine and it's 21inch big brother are one of the best available in the UK.
There are other brands that are both lower priced and higher priced than the Hayter. But, when it comes to repairing these Hayters they are many times cheaper to fix and so much easier to disassemble with less complicated drive systems. To give you an idea, a complete rear roller assy for a Hayter is approx £180, the equivalent Honda rear roller assy is £400+.

Buy British (with an American engine)
atb Phil
Old 07-09-2008, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Phil, the property garden in the photo you posted, how long does it take you to mow that?, and also, at what height is your blade off the turf.

mike.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike r View Post
Phil, the property garden in the photo you posted, how long does it take you to mow that?, and also, at what height is your blade off the turf.

mike.

Hi Mike, there are three customer's gardens shown.

The first one takes about 20mins. Just up and down

The second one about 50mins. This one is cut in two directions so when viewed from the house the lawn has a diamond pattern on it.

The third one takes about 20mins again just up and down.

I think I have some pictures of the diamond effect of lawn two. I'll have a look around my pc later

=
Old 07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Phil, the diamond pattern is awsome. pics don't lie that mower you have does a great job
at striping, and cutting. hows the weather been over there, i must say we've been in the clutches of drought for nine years, and this year in pennsylvania, usa it's been seasonal, not nearly as hot or HUMID,so far, any way you did'nt mention the height you cut at when you are mowing, like to know.
keep up the good work.

mike.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice pics, interesting mower