Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2002, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use the honest ... "hi this is Alan from lonestarlawn, I noticed your number on my caller Id, sorry I missed your call ...may I help you".
I don't understand the reason's given not to call. The worst that can happen is that you won't get the job that you had 0 chance of getting if you didn't call.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kris

You have said it all in my book. I do call back and say I got your number off My caller ID. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I'd NEVER ignore a call.

Think of it this way. These people have initiated the contact with you. These are practically confirmed sales! That's like two levels better than the "hot leads" you'd have to pay $8 to $10 for from a telemarketing company.

I get in touch with everybody that calls me. Even if it takes a week. If I get two missed calls from the same person, I'm going over there!

I'm a solo operator. If some one was expecting me to be sitting by the phone waiting on their call, I consider it my duty to get them to revise their expectations. Storefront operations are an expensive overhead for the customer.

Dave
Old 01-12-2002, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of the time I use Call-Forwarding, thus I don't miss to many calls, unless I'm in a noisy place, got to get a viberating phone I guess.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since I've been a solo operartor my whole life, I've had to answer all calls on the job and at home. Obviously I don't get all of them or even most of them. Since I use my cell as business # and it has called i.d., I can see #'s that are familiar and unfamiliar. If I get one that is unfamiliar and maybe a potential customer, I call back very politely and tell them who I am first and tell them that I am sorry that I missed their call and I've never had anyone mind. In my experience, it shows that I am interested in taking on new business and this lets them know that I like to get the ball rolling ASAP.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Try an answering service, you'll never miss a call. If you pick up one job a month, it paid for itself.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would use the honest ... "hi this is Alan from lonestarlawn, I noticed your number on my caller Id, sorry I missed your call ...may I help you".
I don't understand the reason's given not to call. The worst that can happen is that you won't get the job that you had 0 chance of getting if you didn't call.

Exactly!

Some people simply will not leave a message on an answering machine, especially older people. I have had many people tell me that I had the job if I wanted it, just because I was the only person who did call back. Never, EVER, let a call go unanswered. All they can say is no.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA
Old 01-14-2002, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What did you decide Alan?
Old 01-14-2002, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am actually going to send out a postcard to them since I actually wanted to see if they would call back...
Old 01-15-2002, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Should i get behind on my mowing and a customer calls and hangs up on the machine, my wife will call me on my cell to tell me they called. One hour later I'll show up at there house and they will say something like ' I was thinking about calling you' Caller ID is great. Privacy Directory is also great. Screens out all unknown or private names and numbers.

LAWNS AND MORE