Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2004, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Missing Calls is a definite drawback when you first start out. I have 2 friends in the Lawn business that started with me and we each made the exact same moves concerning calls. First we had an answering machine but like you we all heard hang-ups. Then we all tried answering services and they all don't measure up. I always hated when they sounded like a service. The only thing to really do is either be able to answer your calls immediately (which I know is near impossible) or find a good company that can give you a good public image. After 2 years my Buddy Dave started using this company called A.I. He told me how they operate, giving you 2 office addresses, a tolll free number and most importantly they have the same 5 or 6 people that answer your calls. They learn your company, which makes you look big and you never miss calls again. It costs like $50 a week to use them.
After he told me I used them for a year then sold my business. It was completely self running with their help. Sorry I don't know their phone number, but their website is http://www.successfuloffice.com . Pick up a copy of Entrepreneur Magazine and get their number there (in the back) or go to website.
Hope this helps you.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eslawns
I would use the honest ... "hi this is Alan from lonestarlawn, I noticed your number on my caller Id, sorry I missed your call ...may I help you".
I don't understand the reason's given not to call. The worst that can happen is that you won't get the job that you had 0 chance of getting if you didn't call.

Exactly!

Some people simply will not leave a message on an answering machine, especially older people. I have had many people tell me that I had the job if I wanted it, just because I was the only person who did call back. Never, EVER, let a call go unanswered. All they can say is no.
Well for those that have a problem using the search function....I had the same question Lonestar posted a couple years ago and found my answer. I took eslawns and others advice and called back. Not as bad as I would've thought...going to give an estimate later this week. I guess everything has been discussed here. LOL
Old 03-22-2004, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't call back. If they are need of services they will leave a message!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you can call them back that is great. It will show them how much you care about their business.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LoneStarLawn
I care enough about the quality of our service that I do not answer the phone while working on a clients lawn (And I believe it is big mistake because they could just be other calls beside clients). I believe in customer retention (current customers come first)...current customers understand our work ethnic and know that we will contact them right away if they leave a message..new clients who really want our services will leave a message. I just don't like missing oppurtunities.
Hip-hip horray!!!
Excellent answer! I agree 100% I know many like yourself who use a cell#as business# and also many who call-forward to their cell
I will never allow that. What happens if you're speaking to Mrs Jones and the cell rings?? "sorry mrs jones, this call is more important than you"???

The advice on answering service is very good as well. Check into it, they dont cost all that much and your calls are answered by a real live person.

HBFOXJR also makes a good point, that it is the norm for a small business (and very large business) to channel everythig thru voive mail.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

With the resurection of this thread I should elaborate. I won't answer the phone when I am speaking with another customer, but I will certainly answer it while on a site working.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I roll everything into voicemail if people dont leave a message they normally call back and leave one.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My wife is usually home to awnser the phone, and i dont ever forward to my cell, the fewer people that have that the better. But i dont think the quality of my work would suffer if someone called me, that just doenst make any sence.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

i run multipe business on my phone and i go to school so i cant always pick up the phone. call the number back whats the worst that can happen? do what the other said " hey this is ..... landscpaing i was just returning your call is there anythign i can help you with and they are usually filled withj joy all services around here are horrible thats why im taking over strong and proper

try to answer asap i got a new client only because he was shocked we called him back the same day he was like my normal guy takes more than a week to get in touch with. i want you to cut my lawn
Old 03-22-2004, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only times I can't hear my phone ring are when I am in class or when I am mowing or trimming. I always call the number back if I miss a call. I use my cell for business so it is always with me. More often than not, it is a person inquiring about service. I feel that for a business as small as mine an answering service doesn't present the kind of personal attention that I want my business to have.