Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-07-2008, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat SJC controls will not float

My S 185 bobcat, the arms will not go into float mode..I just got a new Harley Rake and went to use it..I can hit the float button on the right controller, and all that it does is lift the front wheels off the ground..Any help would be wonderful..I must be missing a step or something
08 F 550 Dump 9.5 Xtreme V
07 Cam Superline 6 Ton tilt deck
07 20ft Enclosed Trailer
08 Bobcat 430 mini
Old 07-07-2008, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you need to push the joy stick down while holding the button, damn Bobcrap, all the other names have a detent on the joy stick!

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

i'll check it out. Now that I think about it, I never could get it to float with the snow pusher either..
07 20ft Enclosed Trailer
08 Bobcat 430 mini
Old 07-08-2008, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I believe Ron is right. The button is seriously stupid, float position on loaders has been the same for 40 years. Push past full drop for float, don't know why Bobcat felt they needed to re-invent the wheel with that pointless feature of a button.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive been having the same trouble on our S175 w/ SJC (first skid I've ever operated).

So what exactly do you do to get the edge to float? Using the ISO pattern do you push the bucket all the way tilted down then hit the float button once you're there?

Thanks, and sorry for the simple question.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the material that you are working in, you might find that you are going to have a hard time floating the cutting edge if it is perpendicular to the ground. I say this because in loose soil conditions the cutting edge will have the tendency to dig a little deeper and pull back more material than what you may want if all you are trying to do is smooth out the ground. I found I get the best results when floating the bucket if I have the edge of the bucket hitting the ground at an angle between 10 and 45 degrees away from the machine. And yes, the float button is interesting- all you have to do is press the button and then push the joystick forward and the bucket will lower to the ground in float mode. Just make sure you don't have the bucket raised up in the air too high (higher than 1 foot above the ground) when you press the button because the boom has a tendency to drop to the ground very fast
Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Hm, ok so you tilt the bucket to angle you want, push the button a single time, and push the stick forward? Seems pretty simple. I imagine this would also be useful when using a snow blade and plowing driveways so that the blade just floats along the ground on its little running pads instead of digging in with changes in elevation.

Sorry for the newbie questions, I'm learning as I go
Old 07-08-2008, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No worries- I'm still learning everyday! Good luck and have fun workin in the dirt!

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Well...I found out today, the arms will not float going forward. As the arms are coming down press the float button, then the front wheels will come up off the ground..Once you start to go backwards the arms will indeed float up. So it seems that the float would be useless with a snow plow or pusher box. Piss poor design if you ask me. I did all the harley rakin today by "feel" i wasted more time trying to float than it was worth.
07 20ft Enclosed Trailer
08 Bobcat 430 mini
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax8832 View Post
Well...I found out today, the arms will not float going forward. As the arms are coming down press the float button, then the front wheels will come up off the ground..Once you start to go backwards the arms will indeed float up. So it seems that the float would be useless with a snow plow or pusher box. Piss poor design if you ask me. I did all the harley rakin today by "feel" i wasted more time trying to float than it was worth.
Every loader does that, that's what the float is for, back dragging, when you use the float going forward, you are basically removing any back pressure on the loader hydraulic circut and the machine will come up.

Every loader does that, not just yours. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96