Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2008, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
They sure get to walk on it. It is a very pleasureable experience for them and their dogs because the grass is plush, there is no sensitive plant, sandbur or any other thorny weeds in the lawn. A 1/4 acre lawn is around $400 per month depending on type of grass for me. I do not deal with DIYers, or people who have a hard time making ends meet. My normal client resides on property worth $750.000 or more. I do not mow lawns, however I know the person mowing the indvidual lawn and they are instructed on correct procedure. The difference between Hawaii and the continental US is mowing height. Bermuda and zoysia becomes scrubby if not mowed at less than 1".
$750,000 grand in Hawaii is worth $25,000 in North Dakota, Mississppi and a few other mainland states..I watch HGTV errr I mean my wife watches and I happen to be in the room

I'm going organic on my yard...I spit my chew spittle on the yard and piss off my deck. The rest I leave too my Lab. Greener lawn is only a Sam Adams and Skoal away.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post
$750,000 grand in Hawaii is worth $25,000 in North Dakota, Mississppi and a few other mainland states..I watch HGTV errr I mean my wife watches and I happen to be in the room

I'm going organic on my yard...I spit my chew spittle on the yard and piss off my deck. The rest I leave too my Lab. Greener lawn is only a Sam Adams and Skoal away.
Don't think that same property is only $25,000. I am not talking about shacks in ghettos. These are homes in the suburbs with lots of landscaping. Tropical landscapes are very high maintenance. As in scout for mealybug every two weeks and apply micronutrients monthly. If I didn't do all of that, its time for me to learn how to flip burgers. Given the low wages and high cost of everything here, if someone can afford a $750,000 or more home, they truly have made it.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes the costs will keep rising.

I am strongly considering going from a 5 app plan to a 4 app plan for the same cost.

I will get results close to what we are getting now, and less drive time too.

If clients want a "5th App" they will have the option.

Profits will remain good.

Pete
Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage View Post

I am strongly considering going from a 5 app plan to a 4 app plan for the same cost.

Pete
I currently have a 6 visit program (5 ferts with spot spraying, 1 only spot spraying weeds). Great idea Heritage, you have me thinking of going to 4 ferts with spot spraying and 2 spot spraying). Most people care about the weeds where a little less green in their pockets vs their lawn may work for them.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Pete
This is technically what the stores are doing! They are selling smaller quantities for the same $$$$.

Really a great idea, but the customer needs to be aware of it and buy into it!

If they know they are paying the same for 4 apps as they did for 5, they may raise a little stink....but so is life.

I can tell you that I only recommend 4 apps, and my lawns are awesome. I have always thought (in my area anyway) that anything over 4 apps wasn't needed anyway! You will be very happy with a 4 app program, especially if you can make the same $$$$$ as 5 apps.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys,

My thought is that rather than Clients even "Thinking" about being upset about the rising costs of a green lawn, why not cut to 4 apps, (Here it will work) and give them similar results?

Too the "Green" liberals will be happy that we are putting less inputs for such a result

Clients should be content with keeping their costs about the same for their "Program".

I think this is a good direction, and will keep our "Profits" in an upward trend.

Pete
Old 07-13-2008, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what happens when they ask if you could do it with only 4 apps then why have you been doing 5?

Just curious of your answer.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
what happens when they ask if you could do it with only 4 apps then why have you been doing 5?

Just curious of your answer.
My answer is simple.

With Improved methods/materials, we can give you a beautiful lawn in 4 applications.

1 less visit will help offset the Overhead and Materials that have both risen substantially in the last 6 Months.

Our Clients trust our Judgment.

Pete
Old 07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Our Clients trust our Judgment.
Hope you're right. My clients are incredibly faithful to me, but if I told them: same cost, but 20% less service... I don't think I'd retain them all by any stretch of the imagination...
Old 07-14-2008, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

the "improved methods/materials" should do the trick but I would leave out the added cost for materials, they just forgot the improved methods and found the real reason. I changed my program, I have a high once a year topdress and really low treatments after that because my cost dropped a few dollars per K, It is a proven product too so I know it works, have been using it paired with another product.

I will keep some wiggle room though.