Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2002, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The name sever change has finally been made. Verio is a little slow when they do not do the hosting.. THe website is still very crude but the url is http://www.ascapes.net.

Quote:
did you register the domain name there too?
I have other domains that I registered through Verio and wanted to keep all the registrations together. This will slow you down when you go to publish because you have to notify the co who registered where the hoster is located. Verio lets you do this online but it still takes 24-96 hrs (mine was 24). If you are using Front Page to develop poweredby.com is a breeze. They send you directions and it is click - click. POC.

Ahhh now for the fine tuning, March 1 is rolling round the corner...

jf
Old 01-23-2002, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I registered my domain with 000domains.com Cost was $27 for 2 years. I went ahead and did this before being ready for website to secure the name I wanted.

Old 02-23-2002, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the process of getting my ISP started. The servers should be here next week. I don't currently have the capacity to host LARGE sites, but I'm interested in perhaps helping some of you guys out. I have experience in advanced web page and graphic design. Also I have done some perl scripting for custom CGI scripts.

Bottom line is this: Big Name hosting offers wide bandwidth data transfer. Extreme overkill for the sites I've seen you guys design. There's not alot of content you can put on green service sites. Also, your sites don't get the amount of hits you pay to support. I think my small web server could help you out, especially your pocket book. My server could handle them no problem. Not only that, you already have a contact to help you troubleshoot and someone in the industry who understands what you need.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Cheap web hosting: www.bcn.net --- $50 per year

They have been hosting my site for three years now for $50/year. Nothing fancy, but you can actually call them on the phone and get good service. They are a small business and I highly recommend them. They do not hide behind the internet like many of these hosting co's do.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
I went with Yahoo-8.95 month & $15.00 1X includes registering domain. More space that I'll ever use. Easy set up for a novice to get through.
Picked them for the brand name, have seen many others come & go.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:06 PM
Administrator

yardboyltd

When you go with a "Big Name" hosting company your not only paying for the "overkill" your paying for reliability, around the clock support, daily backups, a stock pile of extra servers, routers, etc., etc., etc., ... Your little ISP server might be cheap but are you going to be able to monitor your system 24/7? Do you have extra routers or hubs, do you have a diesel generator?

Are you going to own your own data center and bandiwth backbone? Or, are you co-locating your own server with a company, such as rackspace?

Or, are you going to setup a computer and run it off your DSL or cable connection?

Perl scripting is becoming ancient ... Do you know mysql, PHP, zend optimizing, etc., etc., ?

These guys might not need 50 gig of bandwith per month, 500 meg of storage, but they do need reliability and technology that comes with "overkill" companies.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for enlightening me, I had no idea what big name hosting was all about.

Yes I do have 2 Hour UPS's and system manager unit that will shut down all non-mission critical devices to conserve power until power is restored, in which case it will automatically restore everything back to operational.. It also notifies me via pager in problems and serves as an intruer detection system. This is my 24/7 monitoring. Yes I do have diesel generator for in the field, but any diesel generator won't cut it, especially with UPS on the receiving end. UPS's are very picky about the power they get, and require a very nice sine wave.

Everything from the routers to the remote access terminals are Linux based. This means no costly, proprietary crap that can only be serviced by "qualified techinicians" from companies like Cisco. In the right hands, a linux based router outperforms cisco's and is much more flexible. I can't say that about fiber backbone routers though.

And it's not wise to run an ISP off of cable or DSL. Try a fractional T1 frame relay for starters. It's a multiserver/proccesor enviroment. 6 servers on the primary node.

Yes redundancy is the name of the game. I have a backup node on standby using pirahna. I do have spare parts, and pretty much everything is non proprietary and interchanges easily. Lot of it's hot swappable. The web server will be running on RAID system, with archived daily backups. In the event of a power outage, the backup can be activated automatically.

Now I wish I could say that I have multiple OC-3 lines to seperate backbones, much like the company that advertises on here with the angel baby, but I don't. Most large bandwidth webhosts that are new starts are funded by VC's. That's why they come and go, they get pulled often. Not me, my company stays in the black... FYI the angel baby company guarentees 99.5% uptime. That's pretty good but that equates to 44 hours of downtime in a year.

Yes Perl is older, but that doesn't mean it is becoming extinct. MySQL and PHP has nothing to do with hosting small LCO's who only use frontpage. Besides, there has yet to be language I haven't been able to tackle. Since the birth of the microproccesor, ASSEMBLY has been the grass roots language that makes all other languages, it is what actually controls each i/o, each register. It's ancient, but it's running every intel and it's clones out there. I doubt many web hosts have a clue about assembly, but simply configure their $100k NT webserver according to the video.

Let me just say that I know what I need to know, and I know it well. I'm a bit of perfectionist, and when I offer service to someone, I'm going to make sure it's up there. I aim to please. Each aspect of my business I have researched indepth and made vital decisions to security, redundacy, and speed as to the setup, hardware, configuration and applications. I wouldn't offer the service, if I wouldn't use it and didn't think anyone else could.

Everybody has to start somewhere, and well this is where I'm starting. My customers are my investors, with each investment(purchase of service), they can be reassured they are apart of growing web company that's only going to get better with smart business.

If you don't feel comfortable with hosting with my company, that's perfectly fine, I can understand where your coming from. It's YOUR decision where to host. If you do decide to try my business, relax in the fact that I'm going to do everything in my power to make my business run smoothly, therefore help yours.

P.S. The servers are not yet online, I'm going to take a month to make sure everything is secure, operational, and redundant.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Now, that's what we like to hear. You should have angled your first approach like that!

Kudos
Old 03-04-2002, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, going back it did seem a little lame. Sorry.

I'd appreciate any business to help get me off the ground quicker. I won't state prices until it's all up and running and I have figured exact run-time costs. I've already talked about incentives with some members like LGF, but those will wait also. Also perhaps I could advertise here, but I know your in that affiliate program with Perfect Prescense. You get 25% of fees?

Basically, I'd just like to know what you guys need to work with, that way I can make package, tailor made for just this type of thing with a tailor made cost. Probably Frontpage extensions? How much space do you guys usually use? Remeber pics. 10mb? How many e-mails? Unless specifically requested, telnet most likely will not be allowed. I will install perl libraries with some typical scripts to use like coutners, message board, etc...

Specifically I'm talking to some of them more demanding users here who use more options. What do you need?
Old 03-04-2002, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Actually, the sponsored host at top hosts turfmfg.com... which, is only used to rotate banners... this time of year LS receives over one million monthly page views though.. 100% not 25%

I am working on a system "package" right now and programming is almost complete. This package will offer LS members everything, including site design. So, it looks like we would have a conflict of interest. My programming should be done very shortly... got delayed because the main programmer had to do something for school that took him away from work.

I will have more details... but, you sound like you know what your doing.. good luck!