Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2000, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

With all this talk about weed eaters going on i was wondering what type do yall use?<p>i have two Robin's and i have had these for around 5 years, in this time i had to replace 1 head on one. i notice that the city farm workers mostly use Robins where i live and you know how they treat there trimmers. <br>
Old 01-08-2000, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have 3 Stihl straight shaft,two with plastic blades and one with a Tuff Cut Head for light duty brush.I have 1 Husky heavy duty with Tuff Cut Head for heavy brush.I won't buy another Husky product.The FS74 trimmer is 11 years old and the only problem that I ever had was the exuast screen got cloged because of a bad gas mix.
Old 01-08-2000, 02:54 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If you look at the other Trimmer Thread, 7 of us in a row use Shindaiwa trimmers.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html
Old 01-08-2000, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You would have a tough time disageeing that Shindiawa's are the best. The only reason we're not using them is because there isn't a dealer in my area. <p>
Old 01-08-2000, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

i use shindaiwa T230, the blue limited model.<br>it is great, the only complaint i have is that the kill switched is in a bad position and i hit it on mistake and turn it off while i am working, o well.<br>just change the plug every year. occasionally it wont start because of the plug, maybe i jsut use junky plugs. but whatever. it is good and the price is good and it is lite weight. great buy.<br>ZYAL8R
Old 01-08-2000, 06:08 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My dealer says the best plug for the 2 cycle motors is the Honda plugs, so that is what I use in all my Shindaiwa equipment and have for 6 years. These plugs seem to hold up a lot better.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html
Old 01-08-2000, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

i use shindaiwa T230, the blue limited model.<br>it is great, the only complaint i have is that the kill switched is in a bad position and i hit it on mistake and turn it off while i am working, o well.<br>just change the plug every year. occasionally it wont start because of the plug, maybe i jsut use junky plugs. but whatever. it is good and the price is good and it is lite weight. great buy.<br>ZYAL8R
Old 01-08-2000, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use 25cc Shindaiwa for light trimming<br>and Stihl FS106 and FS108 for the land clearing work.The Shindaiwa is nice and light<br>and the Stihl has more power than I know what<br>to do with.
Old 01-09-2000, 04:30 AM
LawnSite Member

it seems like Shinindawa's are the thing to go with! my friend told me that i needed to get one, his would not crank one day (due to minor problem) and used mine. he said that mine was a tank! the only problem that i have is i think the only guy that had them packed up and went to Fl. i will have to do some checking arounding.<p>if you dont mind me asking what did yall pay for your unit? cost is not a problem for a good unit!!!!! just wondering.
Old 01-09-2000, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Member

My son and I use Shindaiwas and have had no problems at all. I use the Edgit attachment on one of them, I ordered it from the company when I saw it advertised in PRO magazine. It took a little getting used to but now I find myself reaching for the trimmer with the Edgit head on it all the time. You can trim and edge the lawn with one trimmer at the same time. Fixing to order another Edgit head to go on another of our trimmers so my son and I don't have to fight over the one (ha,ha). The string lasts longer in the trimmer with the Edgit head even if you just trim with it (head acts as an index to keep you from getting too close to a chain link fence etc). Sorry for getting off the subject, we use T230 trimmers (about $250.00).<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<p>