Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2008, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

z-spray spreader

I have a new z spray max. Just recently noticed that the left side of the fertilizer swath is not symmetrical to the right side. It's kind like a shot gun or random distribution. Before it was perfect. Hopper, propeller, are clean. Anyone know how to correct this problem?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is the comb (right handle, next to the hopper cable) affecting the spread pattern?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would say the comb hasa moved, it is easy to grab the wrong pull knob and can be mis adjusted. that should be the problem
Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Z spray spreader

I think turf hokie nailed it. The other T handle beside the opening control adjusts the spreader pattern. The pattern will change when the units hydraulics are cold (not a problem this time of year) or when you change opening settings. Good luck! You will learn to love your z spray.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Pulling the lever all the way back will give you more distribution to the left by guiding the granules towards the back of the paddle. Different types of granular will will distribute a bit more to the right as well.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, you have a pattern adjustment problem. If you have switched fertilizer types, such as swithing to Merit+fert, etc., it can change your pattern, as the weight, size, moisture content of the fert causes it to come off differently. The other thing to check is that you don't have a buildup of gunk on the "comb", pushing fert. back further on spinner. (In humid conditions, this can build up quick!)
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also settling out of dust and finer particulate matter will cause the need to frequently pull out-push in-pull out on that adjustment. It seems to kick stuff loose and return you to an accurate pattern. The dustier the material, the worse this phenomenon.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Member

The comb isn't affecting the pattern. I never touch it. The guys at LT Rich told me to use it to help fix the problem. The pattern isn't too much to the left or right, it just comes out "scattered" on the left and dosen't seem to go as far. I cleaned everything and used the fert that I use most often, still the same?
Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never touching it can be your problem. Read my previous post and reconsider your stance on the subject. At least try adjusting while spreading.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Start with a empty hopper, push the comb all the way forward.
Open the hopper and make sure the comb is adjusted right by looking down into the hopper, the comb should not be visible. Close the hopper, fill with fert, and start spreading. It should be throwing more to the right. SLOWLY pull the comb T handle back and you will see the pattern change to the left. It does not take very much movement at all.
I have found that if the comb is directly underneath the opening you will get a scattered pattern because the granules are being scattered all over the spinner.

I agree with Tscape on the dust collecting on things.
If it is humid it will start caking up on the comb and spinner.
I keep a 12" long scraper in one of the fert trays so I can scrape the caked up material off the spinner and just give the comb a couple of taps on the sides to knock off the crap on it.