Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

What questions should I ask when interviewing the Competitions' customers?

I am going to start my own Lawn Maintainance company.

I haven't done anything yet, This is my first step right here. I have decided the best place to start, would be to interview Customers of other Lawn maintainance companies & ask them questions like, do you like their service? what change would you like to see in this company? things like that. And I am also going to interview owners of other Lawn maintainance companies.

Can you guys please help me here, I want to know what questions do ask, for the two seperate surveys. 1 is for Customers, the other is for competition. Please & thank you!

Kenny.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I for one would not recommend "interviewing" competitors clients. Not unless you want to see flat tires on your rig when start stealing their clients.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I would think if you approached any of my customers you wouldn't
even have to worry about me catching you because I dare say they'd
set you straight their own dang selves lol
Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

As Simon Cowell would say..."not to be rude" but if you need to interview people to find out east from west, then you're not yet ready for Prime Time my friend. You'd be about as popular as those bike-riding Mormons that come knocking on your door trying to get you to find Jesus (note: no offense to Mormons. I think their bikes are cool)

If all else fails...ask them..."Do you feel lucky....well do ya, punk??"
Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

So is marketing someones clients away from them not cool.I thought this was called grabbing as big of the market share as you could.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmogul View Post
So is marketing someones clients away from them not cool.I thought this was called grabbing as big of the market share as you could.
Heck it's bad enough with everybody who honestly is trying to do it the right way so don't make it no worse

So, no it's really not cool to go out of one's way for the very reason to take someone else's clients away.
You want the biggest market share then go on and do a better job for less than everyone else does it for lol
Which that makes us mad as all hell too but nothing we can do about that.

Last edited by topsites; 07-10-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallicuhh View Post
I am going to start my own Lawn Maintainance company.

I haven't done anything yet, This is my first step right here. I have decided the best place to start, would be to interview Customers of other Lawn maintainance companies & ask them questions like, do you like their service? what change would you like to see in this company? things like that. And I am also going to interview owners of other Lawn maintainance companies.

Can you guys please help me here, I want to know what questions do ask, for the two seperate surveys. 1 is for Customers, the other is for competition. Please & thank you!

Kenny.
Sounds like you Don;t want to be in this buisness long. NEVER EVER go up to competeriors clients and "Interview" them. if THEY call you then look at thier property and give them your price. but You Shouldn't EVER just go up to a competeriors customers. and i can Gurantee that your competitors will let the word get around about you and you wont be getting many clients. just put out your advertising and let the customers call you.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interviewing competition? Why bother? You can read here for a week nonstop. Get yourself a notepad and take bullet points.
Interviewing competitors' customers? Why bother? It's called an estimate. Advertise and do estimate when they request. I guess if you really want you could do a flyer with a questionaire they could return and you would indeed have a good lead. I just would not word your questions in a way that bash the competition. It's unprofessional.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmogul View Post
Well, marketing someone elses clients away from them is cool as long as its not directly targeted towards one particular service provider. Lets face it, the purpose of marketing is to create a new customer, regardless of the fact if they are new to the service completely or they currently have a service provider they want to replace (for whatever reason).

Grabbing as big of a market share is only as good as the results you provide for your new client once you have captured them. If you are just staring out, you'll have many more important things to worry about that monopolizing the grass cutting industry in your particular market, and you may soon realize theres more than enough work to go around at good prices for everyone.

As far as the competition, I suggest you align yourself with them, instead of lock horns with them. Any particular company could only do so much work, and that info may be handy when pricing a lead you both get called on. Wouldn't it be nice to call one of them when a machine is down for longer than expected, and you can borrow or rent one of theirs if you dont have backup. Or have someone at your disposal to ask a question to when in doubt? This is called RESPECT. We're all in this game together, and this my friend should be at the top of your list. If it isn't-you'll piss off the wrong person someday, and be subjected to the consequences of your actions Good Luck + God Bless.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You better ask them how big thier current guy is! Hope you can hold your own!

A bunch of websites that all forward to www.FargoSnow.com

where are the real business growth experts? I know you are here reading and keeping tabs on the industry. PM me...