Register free!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I have one like that on my coffee table. How do I get rid of it?
Fungicide... or a doily... maybe even a strategically placed copy of Turf Magazine...
Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The other thing to consider is fertilizer. If an operator shut off a spreader, when its restarted a large amount of fertilizer is dumped out on the first blast. This is more obvious on an open area like a recreational or athletic field, especially if the hopper empties before a full pass is completed. When the operator tries to restart where he left off this is often the result.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fairy Rings

Itook this from a local publication, hope it helps.

Fairy Rings
Sometimes mushrooms will develop and form large circles in lawns. Each year the circle expands. When these circles or "Fairy Rings" are small there may be no effect on the grass, but as they continue to expand, a zone of stimulation forms where the mushrooms come up. Inside this is an area of poor grass growth, or even dead grass. This is the zone of inhibition. Another zone of stimulation may occur inside the dead or dying zone.

Fairy Rings are unsightly but very difficult to control, and the average homeowner may prefer to live with the problem. One way to eliminate Fairy Ring is to dig it out, although this is seldom practical. Mark out an area at least one foot beyond the ring and remove all sod in that area. Then remove all the soil in that area to a depth of one foot, being careful not to spill any on the lawn. Refill the hole with new soil and reseed or resod. Seeding is preferable as there is less danger of reintroducing the Fairy Ring fungi. Doing this job without spilling any soil and reintroducing the Fairy Ring fungi is extremely difficult.

For those who decide to live with the problem, there are several ways to minimize damage to the grass in Fairy Rings. The grass should be fertilized with nitrogen several times a year to help mask symptoms. Most of the Fairy Ring growth (a fungal mat) is in the ground underneath the Fairy Rings, and this growth causes the soil to become nearly impervious to water. Using a "root feeder" attachment on a garden hose, punch holes at least every foot in the yellowing or dying area and pump large amounts of water into the ground to a depth of 10-24 inches. Repeat frequently. Increasing the soil moisture may also change the ecological balance enough to ****** the growth of the Fairy Ring fungi. Application of a wetting agent to the area may also increase soil permeability and help to lessen symptoms. Aeration also reduces the symptom severity.
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Old 07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I called the customer today and he was pretty upset. I told them to water the area and see if it soaked in or beaded on top the ground. I gave him a price on fertilizing and mentioned that fungicides were a crapshoot and most likely useless.

It feels as though he is trying to blame me for the problem, and that I should take care of it for free (on a typical 4/5 step with no summer fert). I told him I cannot predict something like this. He is going to think about it and call me back.................................
Old 07-11-2008, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVracer View Post
I called the customer today and he was pretty upset. I told them to water the area and see if it soaked in or beaded on top the ground. I gave him a price on fertilizing and mentioned that fungicides were a crapshoot and most likely useless.

It feels as though he is trying to blame me for the problem, and that I should take care of it for free (on a typical 4/5 step with no summer fert). I told him I cannot predict something like this. He is going to think about it and call me back.................................
Garydale has it correct.

The specific amount of Water/Heritage Fungicide lable rate, is 50 Gallons of solution per 1,000 Sq Ft...Injected with a root feeding Needle.

You can have the client water till the "cows come home" BUT it alone will not help as the soil in those ring areas has the Fungal Mat which is "Hydrophobic" (water fearing) and the water will just run off.

Tell the client this is common where there is a buried stump of wood also.

Do more research too and if that is not enough for the client, you should refer he/she to your local university Turfgrass Professor, to educuate.

It's 100% not your fault they have Fairy Rings.

Prove yourself correct by Educuation

Pete
Old 07-11-2008, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVracer View Post
It feels as though he is trying to blame me for the problem, and that I should take care of it for free...
Didn't you know? That's the American way!

When I see folks with Fairy Ring, I just tell them it'll go away in time, it's no big deal, and there's nothing to be done with it.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fairy Ring appears worse on under fertilized turf. Ferting heavy helps "cover" it up. I'm sure this is the first time he has seen this in the yard even though it's been there for years and will be there for years to come.

He's prob looking for someone to blame for his problem so you will fix it. That won't happen. Google and print some info on it and give it to him. You've done all you can do. If you can't beat him with brains, boggle him with bs. jk