Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2000, 07:29 AM
Banned

I am looking at 2 different split-boom models - a Sears Craftsman and a Ryobi. Which would you guys recommend, the only Stihl dealer in town has a horrible selection, so it's either Ryobi or Craftsman. The Ryobi I'm lookin at 2079R (what ever &quot;R&quot; is), a 22.5 cc, and is a 2 cycle engine - the Craftsman has a 31 cc. <p>On the Ryobi - should I purchase a 2 cycle or 4 cycle engine? What is the difference?<p>Thanks,<br>JB Lawn Services
Old 01-14-2000, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a commercial grade product PERIOD.
Old 01-14-2000, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryobi makes a 4 cycle engine on a line trimmer?<br>
Old 01-14-2000, 10:08 AM
Banned

Shindaiwa is the brand I use. Start like a dream which will NEVER happen with a homeowner unit used commercially. The extra expenditure is worth it'sweight in gold.<p>John
Old 01-14-2000, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

lazer--yep ryobi makes a 4 cycle weedeater. they say they take getting used to. outside of the fact that they aren't a commercial grade machine, they are heavy and they have much more torque than a 2 cycle. they don't rev real high. as you can imagine, lots of problems with 'em.<p>for the money there is better suff almost everywhere you look.<p>geo
Old 01-14-2000, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. I'd go with a commercial trimmer, period. But if you insist on going with one of these cheapos, go with the 4 cycle Ryobi. It's stronger and takes straight gasoline, which is nice. But they are like $200 on sale. Why not just buy a shindaiwa? They're only $260 or so. And they'll last 10 times as long. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com
Old 01-14-2000, 11:59 AM
Banned

Commercial sounds like the way to go then - but how can I purchase a commercial brand split boom weed eater if there are no shops in town that sell them? Websites? Catalogs? How can I get a hold of one?<p>Thank you very much for your responses?<p>JB Lawn Services
Old 01-15-2000, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

JB, Some times you just have to travel a few extra miles to get the best equipement.
Old 01-15-2000, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

JB here is a link that I got off the old Forum<br>http://www.yetmans.mb.ca/manufacturers.html<p>----------<br>Ken...Lightcap's Landscape Service<br>
Old 01-15-2000, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

All of the posts have been correct. Buy a commercial grade trimmer. You won't regret it. If you plan on trimming for long periods, i.e. 20 minutes or more, that Ryobi is going to get really heavy. The new commercial trimmers are light weight and built well. Have you asked your Stihl dealer to order you one? I bet it's not much more $$$ than a Ryobi. <p>We use Stihl blowers and trimmers all day long. They stand up to the test and are light enough your arms still work at the end of the day.