Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2002, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Selling in mulch work

I was looking for some tips to help increase the amount of mulching work we do for this upcoming year. We do a few accounts but not that many want this done, I loike to do this because in the past we do this work in early march before mowing begins, Any suggestions on selling in this work?
Old 01-13-2002, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

See how much discounts u can giv'em or run some specials tp get them to call lower the labor and increase the price on the material to compensate a little bit
Old 01-13-2002, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some good thoughts thanks, When do most people start putting down mulch? Also do you tend to re-visit to rework the mulch during the year?
Old 01-13-2002, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Forget the discounts

In my opinion, be careful about discounting. How about adding it as an option written into all of your customer's contracts. You might have a marketing campaign to do other add on work, such as yard reclamation or heavy spring cleanup. A lot of times, people are looking for cheap alternatives to prevent their yards from encroaching in from the woods, or to hold back an embankment. If you want to profit nicely, you could use a lesser grade of mulch for these projects, and make a tidy labor profit. Otherwise, advertise the benefits, both aesthetic and functional of the mulch you want to provide. Take some pictures of before and after to show the improvement a little mulch will make.

Ask yourself, "why don't many of my customers want this done?". Then, when you answer yourself, you might shed some light on why you aren't doing more of this work. If it is because the customers you have don't have landscaped beds, add some different, more upscale clients to your list. If it is because you don't price it correctly or competitively, figure out where your error is.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

mulch is big around here in the spring. usually mulch is put down right after spring clean ups are done. i bet you could open a mulch business and support yourself well. it seems everybody around here is always looking for somebody to put mulch down. maybe you should take an ad out in the paper, and make mulching the focus of the ad.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some good thoughts also. Thanks
Old 01-23-2002, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Give one commercial site, say a bank or restaraunt a super deal,enough to just cover your costs then take some photos of it. If you do a great job, it will be noticed by others in your area.A loss leader of sorts.Explain to your client that you are giving him a price that is way below cost. When he renews his mulch in the fall you start making a profit on him as well.Take the photos around and show before and after pictures to clients.Once folks see a well mulched property there's no turning back,they gotta have it.Profits on mulch make up about 10-15% of our overall gross amd comes at a good time of year for us. Jump on it before someone else does!
Old 01-23-2002, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Atlantic Lawn
Give one commercial site, say a bank or restaraunt a super deal,enough to just cover your costs then take some photos of it. If you do a great job, it will be noticed by others in your area.A loss leader of sorts.Explain to your client that you are giving him a price that is way below cost. When he renews his mulch in the fall you start making a profit on him as well.Take the photos around and show before and after pictures to clients.Once folks see a well mulched property there's no turning back,they gotta have it.Profits on mulch make up about 10-15% of our overall gross amd comes at a good time of year for us. Jump on it before someone else does!
On the right track - sort of. Your commercial properties want this service done early - so do a few and put out site signs "Maintenance programs by (your name here)" and the phone will start ringing w/ other commercials and residentials that want/need this service!

Bob

P.S. I personally do not recommend "giving" service away to cover costs!
Old 01-24-2002, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't really think you are giving your service away when you have covered your material and labor costs.I'd rather spend 2 hrs on a mulch job and get referals from that, and get paid, than walk around for two hours putting out flyers with a 1-3% return rate at best. Two differnt and effective ways to build your customer base.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with steve on this one. I have a very visible commercial account that gets mulched twice a year. Needless to say, thay get my best mulch and a very good price for them. I average 10 extra mulching jobs from this one job. Plus I don't even put up the " another fine job by ........." sign.

LAWNS AND MOWER