Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

PVC pipe repair -- best option

I have a cracked 45* fitting in a 1-1/2 inch sched 40 PVC line. The crack is near the middle of a main line that is about two hundred feet long, between the master valve and the last zone valve on the line, so when any zone is active, the pipe leaks. On the downstream side of the cracked fitting, it probably goes another ten feet before hitting another 45* fitting. On the upstream side there is an ell about five feet before the leak.

I don't want to use four ells because I don't want to dig up that much of my yard and I don't want the pressure drop. So my choices are a compression fitting, a telescoping fitting, or one or two "screw" unions (with O-rings). My best guess is that I should be able to do this with one union and a few glue fittings if I am really careful on the cuts.

The repair will be buried. Freezing is not an issue. I don't want to put in any stop blocks.

So, which would you use and what would be the layout? For example, if I use the telescoping or compression fitting, put it after the 45* (down stream) or before it? If I use one union, put it upstream or downstream of the 45*? Use two unions, one on each side of the 45* fitting?

On a side note, the leak occured yesterday. I had been running another zone for about thirty minutes while I was away from the house. When I got back. I noticed a "mound" in the yard about 15" high and four feet across. The yard is stratified between the original gumbo clay soil and about six inches of sandy clay fill dirt. Rather than "leak thru", the grass held together so the soil separated. When you walked on it, the hump moved around like a cheap water bed. I ended up popping it to get it to go back down. Really weird.

Thanks,
Ira
Old 07-12-2008, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You will use two unions, if you want to minimize digging.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
When you walked on it, the hump moved around like a cheap water bed. I ended up popping it to get it to go back down. Really weird.
You wonder if it's going to blow sky high as you're looking at it!
Ditto Boots suggestion, measure carefully.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I halfway expected water to shoot up a few feet when I popped it, but it only went up a few inches. The sod was put down less than two years ago. It came in 2' X 50' rolls, and had a plastic mesh on the back of it to keep it together while being unrolled. The mesh hasn't deteriorated so I guess that's why it held together.

I ran out of time today, so I just cut out the cracked fitting and capped both pipes. I can still run four of the five zones that way. The 45* fitting cracked right along the inside angle about half way around the fitting. When I made my first cut, the pipe didn't move like it was under stress, so I'm not sure why it cracked. The trench it was in was filled with sandy clay soil, so I don't think the dry ground shifted much.

So I should put a union on each side of the 45 fitting?

Thanks,
Ira
Old 07-12-2008, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

]You need a Ford "pack joint" for sch 40 pipe. Go to section "J".

fordmeterbox.com
Old 07-12-2008, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do your cuts right, and you can glue a 45 back in without any form of repair fitting.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Water View Post
Do your cuts right, and you can glue a 45 back in without any form of repair fitting.
:::yawn:::what's with the hurt my eyes political sig?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
:::yawn:::what's with the hurt my eyes political sig?
I'm trying to annoy the guys in the politics section. I'm not even for barr.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm trying to annoy the guys in the politics section. I'm not even for barr.
I'm tellin'
Old 07-12-2008, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That 45 cracked because it was under stress. pipes no longer 45s now. 4 elbows only solution as far as I'm concerned. I bet the pipes shifted slightly after the cut so I bet they are even less of a 45 now. Try to 45 that back in and that next 45 down or up stream is going next. By the way did you know the original Astros were the Colt 45s? Used to see them for free on Dr. Pepper night if you had the right bottle cap.