Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo weed whip get too hot

I have several different types of Echo weed whips. And lately I have noticed the high torque one to be getting really hot. It gets really hot where the motor meets the shaft. I have run through some of the general maintenance but I can't figure out why it would be getting so hot right there. It gets to the point that if I run it for a few lawns it will start to burn my arm. The motor it self runs fine, it cuts fine, and everything else is great excepts for the burning of my arm which I am afraid could lead to it just burning out. Please any advice. I will go get the official name and numbers of it and repost. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean it's getting hot near the clutch housing? It could be a bearing on the clutch shaft or the top of the drive shaft. Does seem a bit odd to have excessive heat build up around this area. Do you have more than one of this model strimmer? If you do does the other one get as hot?
You could try seeing how free the cutter head rotates. Make sure the engine is turned off and spin the cutter head, you should be able to detect any drag. It should not stop too abruptly after spinning.
Failing that you'd best to take the engine off and 'ave a look inside the clutch assy.
atb Phil

=
Old 07-14-2008, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

This is the only one of this particular model. So what would I do if there were some drag on the cutting head?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With engine off you can spin the entire assembly from the clutch down to the head and it should be easy to spin.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Lawnmower Man View Post
It gets really hot where the motor meets the shaft. I have run through some of the general maintenance but I can't figure out why it would be getting so hot right there. It gets to the point that if I run it for a few lawns it will start to burn my arm.
I had a couple Tanakas, same compliant as yours, come in with the fan case melted from a bad bearing, you could not see it from the out side. The problem was that the bearings had not been greased correctly when made. What I would suggest is that you take the motor off, then the fan case from the tube and look at where the bearing sits. If it is a bad bearing, The plastic will be melted or discolored. Echo should cover it as a manufactures defect. Tanaka did the two I came across, even thou they where out of warranty.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine does the same thing. I think that it is a design issue.

But, you can fix it.

There is a guard for the spark plug - loosen it significantly. Then take an old work glove or some similar thing and place it under the spark plug guard and tighten it back up. Now you have a nice insulator between your arm and the trimmer.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 07-14-2008, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP View Post
Mine does the same thing. I think that it is a design issue.

But, you can fix it.

There is a guard for the spark plug - loosen it significantly. Then take an old work glove or some similar thing and place it under the spark plug guard and tighten it back up. Now you have a nice insulator between your arm and the trimmer.

you also cut the airflow off to the cyld. would you not?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

So the cutting head doesn't spin too freely, does that mean something isn't greased up right? The extra drag causes it to heat up? I just don't really have the money or the spares to be putting it in the shop for a few days. If it is fixable at home that would be great.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

same exact problem!

Brand new echo 230 whip, the clutch housing really hot, my older 230 (2005) runs cool, the shop looked at it, opened it up and said all was well. They feel it is due to the catalytic muffler. Has any one heard this?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it is model SRM-261T, contact Echo and ask for an arm rest kit. It is free and comes with all the necessary hardware and installation instructions. I got one and now I don't get burned. It is a plastic piece that fits over part of the head (engine) and provides insulation.

Here's the phone #: 1-800-673-1558

I believe that the heat is from the engine or muffler. Mine got hot from day 1 but runs fine.