Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Macks are not any more expensive to repair then Peterbilts...they are a very solid and strong truck, we just got rid of a 1978 Mack because the double frame started to split but that truck would run circles around the Peterbilt that we have now. Mack parts are very easy to come by and the trucks themselves are extremely easy to work on

good point about the gears but our 8LL Pete only tops out around 60mph (i'm not kidding), they are construction trucks, not meant for long travel
Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Macks are a rough riding truck. They are built tough and even the guys I know who drive and dislike their ride always comment on their sturdiness. Since this is not a date-night vehicle, the ride factor should not count. You have needed a truck for a long time. If this one is in good shape, with proper gearing and no "hiddens" that are not being disclosed - do it. It is the next logical step for your business - the down time, convenience, efficiency, independance in not having to rely on outside trucks to move equipment or material is worth it assuming you can justify this in your business plan........On a more serious note: Are you going to paint it power tan?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

only problem is...if you buy this truck then you will need a driver, then you will need more guys, then new and bigger equipment, then a new name, and so on........
Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does it come with fuzzy dice hanging on the windshield somewhere? Neked chick mudflaps? Skull shift knob? Bull balls hanging on the rear end? I think those added options would really impress the Mrs. .
Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Digger2 View Post
only problem is...if you buy this truck then you will need a driver, then you will need more guys, then new and bigger equipment, then a new name, and so on........
I have the driver he would love to get out of the 1984 IH, yes I am always in the market for newer bigger equipment unfortunately I cant afford all that I want, I am still working on the name change. How about Valhalla Excavation (Norse mythology, the hall where great warriors meet).

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSet N' Grade View Post
Does it come with fuzzy dice hanging on the windshield somewhere? Neked chick mudflaps? Skull shift knob? Bull balls hanging on the rear end? I think those added options would really impress the Mrs. .
Between the bull balls and the naked chic mudflaps, I would be divorced and she would get half my Mack!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Notice I did not say in what vein it would impress her.......My wife told me I would be sleeping in the barn if I came home with any of that contraband on my rig......If ya need the truck go get it.......if you don't buy the truck, go buy $35k worth of krugerrands. The krugerrands will make you more money this coming year than the truck anyways.....
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSet N' Grade View Post
Notice I did not say in what vein it would impress her.......My wife told me I would be sleeping in the barn if I came home with any of that contraband on my rig......If ya need the truck go get it.......if you don't buy the truck, go buy $35k worth of krugerrands. The krugerrands will make you more money this coming year than the truck anyways.....

Yes that would very likely be a better investment, but kinda hard to haul material with a Krugerrand don't you think. Hell if excavating was a great investment everyone would be doing it, instead it is just the slow ones.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I resemble that remark, although I may be considered "slow", I prefer to consider myself passionate and able to do a craft that most can't. I am doing it on a daily basis with 6 jobs in front of me, I am walking the walk, and for the most part enjoy the challenges, the jobs, and the day. If I had more money than I could spend, I could honestly tell you I would be doing the same thing tomorrow as I did today - working with equipment. Ksss - here's a dreamy thought........buy the dump truck and maybe Mr Got Bucks who is building that $20 mil starter home will feel compelled to fill your truck up with Krugerands as a bonus for doing good work!!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Your back will feel the "Break your back Camel Back" springs. Oh ya when it comes time to replace the bushing and other parts on the Camel Back suspension better have a good spring shop in the area.

Good Luck