Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've read back over a few of gravel rats posts. I'm very depressed. I had no idea things were so bad here. I can't believe I have gone for so long, making money, being busy, and building my business, and the whole time the province has been falling down around me. I am going to sell everything and buy a tent.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to start sharing my daily medication with Gravel Rat now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't need meds

Its just a reality check that the building boom is starting to dissapear around B.C.

The realestate market has taken a good belly flop into the pool and that means the work has died off.

I imagine the excavation contractors are having some sleepless nights with the work all drying up.

I know the realtors are a tad nervous with nothing moving all there is tire kickers.

I would like to be pulling levers again but do I want to be un-employeed "NO".
Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Back to the truck...

The front is only 14,600? Out here I think it has to be like 20,000 with the big float tires on the tri/quads. There is some Macks here but I'm with you that a Pete would be better. It seems like Mack just isn't as popular as they use to be. The demo box is nice and with the low sides it is easier to load with the skids. Is the pusher/lift axle steerable? I have heard that Mack parts can be more expensive. Beat 'em down and then get some sub-prime money from RockSet.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes back to the truck subject

Like I said the truck sounds like it was spec'ed as a logger not a dump or it might have been spec'ed as a heavier lowbed tractor. Its NOT a converted truck tractor if thats what your worried about.

You have to look at the axle and springs it may be a 18,000/20,000lb front axle so all you would need to do is buy a set of float wheels bolt them on and off you go.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Back to the truck...

The front is only 14,600? Out here I think it has to be like 20,000 with the big float tires on the tri/quads. There is some Macks here but I'm with you that a Pete would be better. It seems like Mack just isn't as popular as they use to be. The demo box is nice and with the low sides it is easier to load with the skids. Is the pusher/lift axle steerable? I have heard that Mack parts can be more expensive. Beat 'em down and then get some sub-prime money from RockSet.

Ok, what is so much better about a pete? I really want to know, as I drive one at least once a week. They share the same motor, trans, rears, front axle, ext with freightliner, international, kw, ect. So really the only difference is the cab, hood, and suspension, and logo. So I take it that you like the small alum cab? I guess I just don't understand? I have replaced the same parts on pete's as well as macks and they both run about the same(expensive)!
Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
http://www.chicharbine.com/detail.as...&IndID=1&Cat=7

I have never owned a MACK, not overly popular out here. It has the drop axle that I want, the demo body, heavy specs, decent power and a lot of gears.

I sent an email tonight and told him what I was willing to give for the truck assuming it is sound cosmetically and mechanically ($35K). If he says that will buy the truck, I am going to Missoula on Monday. If it checks out I will take it home.

ma. fuel prices it would cost over 750 to fill the tanks but you knew that.....
Old 07-18-2008, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
I have replaced the same parts on pete's as well as macks and they both run about the same(expensive)!
That is true. As for Petes being better, that is just my .02 worth. I also just like the looks of a 357, I am sure that a Mack can be speced the same. Here there is likely more Freightliner, Kenworth, Pete, Sterling and then Macks.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its just a reality check that the building boom is starting to dissapear around B.C.

The realestate market has taken a good belly flop into the pool and that means the work has died off.

I imagine the excavation contractors are having some sleepless nights with the work all drying up.

I'm an excavating contractor. I am booked solid until the end of November. My cell phone voice mail fills up every day. Today I took on three new jobs ranging from a few hours to 2 days. I told them all it was going to be at least a couple of weeks before I even have a chance of squeezing them in. The bottom line is, if you have a good track record of providing a necessary service at a good rate, and you take pride in what you do, you can make a good living in any economy. Budgeting for economic downturns is just good business sense. As our building boom comes to an end, the fly by niters and marginal businesses-including a lot of big ones-will fold, and thats the way it should be. Its the way free enterprise and the laws of supply and demand are supposed to work. I must say, I won't miss the idiot I see hauling his off- shore PC80 behind his 4 cylinder Chev Blazer with the hitch scraping the asphalt. By the way, can you find some work for my old Louisville at 110 per hour? Down my way we get 75 for a tandem. Not that I hire it out very often. But I will for 110.....
Old 07-18-2008, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I charge 70 dollars per hour for my F-450. With todays fuel prices if somebody wants something hauled they are going to pay.

The gravel truck rate 4 years ago was 65 dollars per hour with todays rate of 100-120 per hour is bare minimum to make a profit.

Problem with the Lowermainland and Valley area is you have trucks that will haul for undercutted rates.