Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Its just a reality check that the building boom is starting to dissapear around B.C.
The funny part about this is that "Building Boom" means there was little or no building at one time, then the building industry really took off and was at levels higher than before, then it slowed too what it was before the "Building Boom" .

So Things are back too normal.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

No things are way way slower than normal. Even small reno jobs are not even happening. People are so cash strapped nobody can afford to do anything.

Any of these guys with the new dump trucks are really scrambling to keep working so they can keep making payments.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Back to the "Truck"........14,600 fronts is fine if you understand they are light...The "package" fits your needs,the body height,the lift gate and the truck spec will not kill you...

We run ( literally) 14 wheelers,5 R's,8 Granites and one 357 ( senior driver.1st hired; been here 20+ years ).along with 5 Petercar tractors,1 Autocar and 3 R-model water wagons.....The Fords ,IHC's and Volvos have come and gone..Dealer support is EXCELLENT.Yes he is now Volvo too but up here in the NORTHEAST .you service ALL of your customers or go BROKE...,parts are NOT more expensive and if you grease the Trunions.only thing to replace will be the "Rubbers" under the "Saddles" till 1/2 mill..even with DUMP BUCKETS......

Chirp in if you like but 26 plus years of "Playing in the sand box" gives a GREAT education....Yes the PACCAR products look nice and will last as long if MAINTAINED RIGHT...Read above.we have them and I've owned them BUT for a fleet....MACK just does it better.....

Then again........We might not have "Real trucks"....the last 5 Granites all have Allisons.....I might not be able to do that site work or back down that steep drive or legally haul 66,000 all day long

Snoope back quiet

p.s. Young man,if it feels right and priced right BUY IT.....

Last edited by snoope; 07-18-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
Back to the "Truck"........14,600 fronts is fine if you understand they are light...The "package" fits your needs,the body height,the lift gate and the truck spec will not kill you...

We run ( literally) 14 wheelers,5 R's,8 Granites and one 357 ( senior driver.1st hired; been here 20+ years ).along with 5 Petercar tractors,1 Autocar and 3 R-model water wagons.....The Fords ,IHC's and Volvos have come and gone..Dealer support is EXCELLENT.Yes he is now Volvo too but up here in the NORTHEAST .you service ALL of your customers or go BROKE...,parts are NOT more expensive and if you grease the Trunions.only thing to replace will be the "Rubbers" under the "Saddles" till 1/2 mill..even with DUMP BUCKETS......

Chirp in if you like but 26 plus years of "Playing in the sand box" gives a GREAT education....Yes the PACCAR products look nice and will last as long if MAINTAINED RIGHT...Read above.we have them and I've owned them BUT for a fleet....MACK just does it better.....

Then again........We might not have "Real trucks"....the last 5 Granites all have Allisons.....I might not be able to do that site work or back down that steep drive or legally haul 66,000 all day long

Snoope back quiet

p.s. Young man,if it feels right and priced right BUY IT.....
He repainting the box and maybe the whole truck. I spoke with Mack in Missoula. They will look the truck over for me. figured it would take an hour or so $87.00 The guy that has the truck will drop it off. Well worth even a couple hundred dollars to have a Mack trained tech look over the truck. He will not have it ready until mid next week. He is also lowering the cab protector, thought it looked stupid being up so high. I would agree. I imagine I will be spending about 38K for the truck by the time its over, assuming it gets a clean bill of health.

On the Pete thing, I prefer a Pete due to the cab comfort, personally much more comfortable than a Kenworth IMHO. Your right they all have the same running gear, engines etc. I had a 1990 378 with a 18 speed, 20K fronts, 46K rears, 444 Cummins (never heard much good about that motor but it ran great for us). I used it on a side dump for 5 years. It was just a good running truck, never an issue of any size with it. With Pete it is just a familiararity thing I guess, its not to say they are the best choice for this application.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am curious as to what the banks are now requiring for the purchase of anything.......Another good place to look for a truck would be a banks REO inventory. May take a little doing to find their outlets, but their repo rate on trucks has to be on the rise.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

ksss,

Wise decision to have a "Tech" review your purchase.....

If the "Money" fits, why not??

For creature comforts,our "Shop" has found it cheaper to buy " Peterbilt factory" seats from a local dealer ....Eleven of our Macks now have "Petercar" lazy boys in them......makes 10-12 hours a day "at the office" easier....and the newer Granites are as quiet as the Pete tractors.....

Much cheaper to spend $$ 4-500 on a seat and keep a driver ( never mind less $$ spent Chiro-kracker) than to retrain one..

Final words.....Good luck with your purchase and if you are "still on the fence"
you could always check out......www.truckpaper.com....put in your specs and be amazed ......there are over a dozen Petes with lowsides and flipper gates.....

Snoope back quiet
Old 07-19-2008, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

KSSS,

Does possibly getting this truck replace the idea of you wanting to upgrade on a 160 or is that still an option if you come across the right machine?
Old 07-19-2008, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopers View Post
KSSS,

Does possibly getting this truck replace the idea of you wanting to upgrade on a 160 or is that still an option if you come across the right machine?
It would likely have to wait unless a real smokin deal came along. My needs for a newer truck out weigh that of updating the 160. There are some good projects on the horizon so we will see what actually happens and what is just pie in the sky.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

very cool! well hopefully this truck turns out for you.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Man gr's crap is everywhere. That mack was most likely built as a heavy hualer (equipment and such). Mack makes a stought truck. May not be the most comfortable, but stought. I would however would look for one with 18 fronts.