Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=PSDF350;2426266]Man gr's crap is everywhere. That mack was most likely built as a heavy hualer (equipment and such). Mack makes a stought truck. May not be the most comfortable, but stought. I would however would look for one with 18 fronts.[/QUOT

It is hard to find a truck with low miles, the right bed, drop axle and the right money. Most trucks I have seen with such low miles were much more money. My thought is without the drop, I think it would be more critical. As it is on a 4 axle truck with a 16' bed I think the drop will help take some of the weight off of the fronts. I will be talking to the Mack dealer up there next week and I can ask him about what it would take to up grade the fronts to 20's. If it is just a spring thing, that cant be a big deal. If it it is more involved than that, then it would have stay 14,600.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

While you are at it, ask and see what a new air ride seat would be......that may make a big difference for not alot of money. My guess, installed would be around $500-$600.......
Old 07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow I get about 11 pages when I did this for my area, couple more states. But about the same distance. Anyway heres truck paper with 4 pages of trucks $40,000 and under.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...nsearch=Search
Old 07-19-2008, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

PSD......now go through those trucks and look for one with high lift gate, eliptical bed in good condition, drop axle and view the general condition of those trucks and the field just got narrowed down to maybe 2 trucks......but you are right, trucks for sale is on the rise.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

It is definitly a gruelling process trying to find the right truck. But just becuase something is old, don't mean worn out. So just becuase something has age don't let that stop you from at lest looking. I was looking at a 72 (didn't know age when stopped to look) autocar. Has a 425hp cummins 58 rears 20 fronts. 10 wheel 13' bed. If just for me to pull equipment and what not for myself, I think it would be a well spent $10,000 (12,500 asking price). Thing was in nice shape considering it is 36 years old. Hell I think even the paint is original.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought about upgrading to a 20K front end when I first got my super 10, but am glad that I didn't. The drop axle takes the load off the front end when loaded, and running the standard tires on the front when empty is a lot better. The super single front tires are hard on the steering gear (some 20K front ends from the factory have dual steering gear pumps), they are harder to balance, and they are really expensive. If I were running 8-10 hrs a day in and out of job sites with heavy loads, it would probably make a difference. But for what I do, the smaller front axle/tires works well and has no hassles. I run 24.5 michelins up front and the truck drives and steers like a dream.
Most drop axles have a pressure dial where you can control the amount of air in the bags on the axle and therefore the amount of weight they carry. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

If you really want to run regular steers you really shouldn't run 11R tires because they don't pack the weight

A 11R-22.5 H rating tire carries 13,200lbs used in pairs
A 11R-24.5 H rating tire carries 14,320lbs
A 315/80R22.5 L rating carries 18,180lbs which is what your supposed to use if you don't want to use 425/65R22.5 rubber which carries 22.800lbs.

You don't balance supersingle tires your not driving the dump truck on the autobahn. Most heavy trucks have double steering boxes anyhow or a assist cylinder on the passenger side. Supersingle tires are no big deal they are common as mud in B.C. every gravel truck on the road has them we need them to be legal. Usually get 6 months out of them depending on the driver.

So what happens when the lift axle gives out which it can happen anything can and now you have too much weight on your front axle bending it or stressing it any how you look at it.

When your offroad you want to lift the drop axle so you have better manueverablity.

Here is a truck I would choose

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...5B8CE4D06758E3
Old 07-20-2008, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That truck fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. The push axle isn't there supporting any real weight. It is just there to make him legal. Plus they really aren't very complicated. On my truck it is just an airbag at the end of a lever attached to the axle. Unless the airbag was to somehow leak so much that it wouldn't inflate at all the axle would still function. I've had guys that have forgotten to put down the push axle and it didn't cause any damage. I've heard of companies who have had trucks run every day all day without the push axle down and it didn't cause any damage to the trucks.

And why would he want that Peterbilt? It's almost 10 years older than the Mack.

Proudly running a 1987 Mack DM that I bought NEW, sold, and bought again this year and am now in the process of restoring it to its original condition.

I have a guy driving it every day hauling screened topsoil and it hasn't caused him any problems yet. The body needs replacing though because the last owners hauled asphalt with it and got 4,000 pounds of it stuck in the bed. That truck has under 350 horsepower and it pulls harder than a lot of the new trucks I've run.

As for the issue of Macks being uncomfortable the only issue with comfort in my 87 is it has no air conditioning. If it had a passenger the passenger wouldn't be very comfortable since their seat is bolted to the floor, but the driver's air-ride seat makes for a nice ride.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

DMs are a totally different beast compared to a CH. The DM with its offset cab and heavier constructed truck it was designed for mixer use originally but work good for dumps.

The old E6 engine with a 12spd is a good combination not big power but works.

Here is a old DM notice the cab

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...1E7E754F6CBA8F
Old 07-20-2008, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
You don't balance supersingle tires your not driving the dump truck on the autobahn. Most heavy trucks have double steering boxes anyhow or a assist cylinder on the passenger side. Supersingle tires are no big deal they are common as mud in B.C. every gravel truck on the road has them we need them to be legal. Usually get 6 months out of them depending on the driver.
I like the idea of the super singles, most people are not in favor of the idea though. How much weight can they actually save you? Have seen one company running super singles on their truck and end dumps. Concrete trucks here have run supers and don't hear any complaining.