Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 1990 CH613 for pulling around my 5 walking floor trailers (So I can leave them and let clients load them and then pick them up later) and 1999 Eager Beaver 35 ton RGN as well as a 30 yard dump trailer. Even when the truck is literally within pounds of its 80,000 pound gross weight while pulling 100 yards of leaves or wood in one of the walking floors it still pulls great. Personally I prefer the DM to the CH, but that is probably because the DM reminds me of when it was new. I bought the CH two years ago for $9,500. It has a 350HP engine in it. It has near a million miles on it (I think. The odometer stopped working.) and the only thing I've done to it is change all the lights out to LEDs and I lent it to a local shop so they could fit up an aftermarket intercooler so once they fit a new one to the CH models they put a new one in for me for free. Then a little while ago I had to put a new transmission in. I got a brand new trans from a local shop and had it back on the road within 3 days of losing the old trans.

Long story short: There is a reason their hood ornament is a bulldog. Those Macks are great trucks.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

We only use supersingles for steers not drives. Supersingles are needed for steer tires or your not hauling anything in a dump truck. The CVSE looks at the tire width thats what counts for weight carrying. A 315/80R22.5 tire has the load carrying capacity but its not wide enough. It is so many pounds per inch of tread width I forget the number.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We call the big steer tires 'floats', don't recall what the size is - just big. You can get one big tire that replaces two 11/22.5 tires for the drives or on the trailers. Do they run those in Canada?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

The low profile super single drives are not used much they are expensive and if you get a flat on a drive axle your stuck. Dual wheels are still prefered for drives. Supersingles are required for steer axle use as I mentioned.

You factor in to replace your dual wheel drives with supersingle drives you have to buy new wheels at 1000 each then you have another 1500 dollar each tire.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I like the idea of the super singles, most people are not in favor of the idea though. How much weight can they actually save you? Have seen one company running super singles on their truck and end dumps. Concrete trucks here have run supers and don't hear any complaining.

I ran super singles on the front of my 378 for a while. It looked cool but in off road conditions the front end slide around more and of course the cost was ridiculous. My driver didn't like them so we pulled them off and put the 11's back on.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

On some sites around here if you had regular steers on the front they would sink out of sight

I guess its what ever you get used to but I won't drive a loaded gravel truck with regular steers. Take a corner and you can feel the tire rolling on its sidewall no thanks.

With our new regs the 445/65R22.5 supersingles will be manditory if you want to pack legally 15 ton. At almost 2 grand each its going to get costly but what can you do except for jacking up the rate, 150 dollars per hour isn't too far off.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Comparing a DM or B to a CH....Why do you think Mack HAD to INVENT the Granite,CH and even the Vision.......everyone else caught up....

If you sit with "The Proper" sales person...any manufacturer can create a truck that will last.......How they treat and SERVICE you creates the "reputation"....

Gravelrat,

The tire "question" depends on where you run......In NH we can run 12/24.5 on all 10 and get our gvw,64k ( with factory heavy springs....18/20k front 44/46/50 rears) while in Florida I ran 20k front-floats/46 k rears-24.5 and got 70,000 gvw.....but the body was only a foot longer.......15' Nh 16' Florida.....

Now on T/T's forget it.....NH ; tandem tractor ,tri-axle trailer 109k with permits,25 ton load --Florida; single axle tractor/Florida spec ( 22'/24' tub 28' frame) trailer " bridge formula" and I still got 25 ton....with gvw 73,280....

Spec and buy for your needs.........you can take everyones knowledge and hopefully find a truck that will serve you well,make you money and maybe allow you to buy more NEW TOYS

Snoope back quiet
Old 07-22-2008, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of guys run super singles on their rigs out here, but I've noticed it's typically preference. Most of the guys running big Petes or KW's with at least one lift axle run the supers, most other guys run a standard front. It's almost guaranteed if they're running a truck + pup and/or 2 lift axles, they have super singles. I'd wager for the flotation off road, things tend to get a little moist in the winter here. A buddy of mine had a nice set of wheels and super singles on a '78 KW W900 short front, that truck looked badass. Cummins 400, single stage loud as hell jake, and some old mufflers, what an awesome truck.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
A lot of guys run super singles on their rigs out here, but I've noticed it's typically preference. Most of the guys running big Petes or KW's with at least one lift axle run the supers, most other guys run a standard front. It's almost guaranteed if they're running a truck + pup and/or 2 lift axles, they have super singles. I'd wager for the flotation off road, things tend to get a little moist in the winter here. A buddy of mine had a nice set of wheels and super singles on a '78 KW W900 short front, that truck looked badass. Cummins 400, single stage loud as hell jake, and some old mufflers, what an awesome truck.
Now you are going to share a picture of said truck...
Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Now you are going to share a picture of said truck...
I wish I had one. My buddy sold the rig, so now I can't even go out and score one in the next couple days. The box on the truck was pretty rough, but the rest of it was nice.

Go hard, go fast, or go home