Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-02-2008, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

grasshopper flimsy and overpriced

I have a grasshopper 722d with 61 inch deck and a hopper. from the moment I got the machine (new) it had problems. the rollbar was loose, parking brak not adjusted, pully bolt in the deck was loose.
springs have broken. parts just fall off for no reason. the belt on the collection system falls off on its own.
i am going through 1 quart of oil in the engine every week now and burning gas twice as fast as it used to. it has about 150 hours on it.
I had all the hydraulic fluid spill out becase the drain wasn't install tight enough.
now its overheating if the grass is thick. (shouldn't it be able to handle that?)
now today when I engaged the pto the whole switch pulled out of the intrument panel in my hand.
and of course the is the 1 inch wide strip of grass that it just doesn't want to cut no matter how clean the deck and how sharp the blades. (never more than 10 hours old)
did I get convinced that its a good product just because its expensive? you should have to reassemblepart of the deck when you get it because the factory did it wrong.
at this point I will probably sell this thing before its even a year old to get a new john deere. at least I know from experience that when that breaks, you did it.
whats the deal? i am out 16 thousand for something that is broken every single week and its costing me a lot of money.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WOW whats your dealer donig for you???.....Call the manufacture and see if they will do anything.....Good luck............
Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, if you are burning a lot of gas in it, then you really have a problem. That machine has a diesel engine on it.
As far as fuel use, those engines do not really get broken in until you have a couple of hundred hours on them. Of course, since you are running gas in it, it is probably about ready to blow apart.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The only problem I can relate to is the parking brake. They seem to go out of adjustment all the time.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ummmm...wtf did you do to it? I run a 227/61 a lot, and it has NO cut problems at all (same deck). It also looks and runs like new, nothing has fallen off of it. If you take care of your equipment, it normally will last a while.

Man, that's quite a feat to destroy a Grasshopper so quick. You must have some pretty hard core crack heads working for you or something. And HOW are you running gas in a diesel engine?

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 07-02-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a mower that had one blade installed up side down. This was leaving a strip and a lot of grass looking bad. Have you checked the blades? Just a thought.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry I meant diesel. not gas... but also it can with a lot of those problems straight to me with loose bolts and stuff.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy6 View Post
sorry I meant diesel. not gas... but also it can with a lot of those problems straight to me with loose bolts and stuff.
sounds like a very poor dealer.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Something funny going on with your mower. As a retired Grasshopper dealer, I have never seen a machine arrive at the shop with any problems like loose bolts or missing parts. They even come with the decks in perfect adjustment Their quality control is top notch. I wonder if your dealer was robbing parts off of your machine, then, had to reassemble it to sell it.