Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2002, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience I would have to say that our first 3 full time years, not including the 1/2 year part time, is spent learning the basics of the particular business/service (especially for me coming from a background of Employee Leasing Sales). About halfway through year 3 I found it just sort of clicked. After year 3 it's been a process of tweaking and trying to figure how to blow the roof off! I know that we can confindently go forth and grow 15-20% just on referrals and fliers. But of course that's not going to be good enough....as such it explains my exploring the nuts and bolts that may make best sense to be in place in order to go beyond what I think is the traditional marketing efforts that people in our industry typically use; fliers, yellow pages, door hangers.....You read about these co's that go gangbusters and I guess I want to know what they do that works so well.

I am completely unsold on yellow pages now for Lawn Care and Landscape Maintenance; I would like to hear someone's sucessful ideas involving the yellow pages if they are out there.

Maybe I should add pavers to the list of servics and move to Wisconsin?
Old 01-21-2002, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You must be in an underdeveloped or emerging market. I don't think anyone here in southern NJ, east of Philadelphia (NJ part of Phil metro market) can do those kind of things anymore on a large scale. Too many big ones already and too many waiting at the door. Some of the bigger guys have simply bought the smaller ones for growth.

Last year we added a lot of growth in irrigation service by an advertising change and luck with the drought. Can it be repeated??? Last year we added a paltry number of fert accounts in the spring with double the adverising of the year before. A huge bust. Lousy weather when the mailers went out, cool spring and a good growing year in 2000 I think was the cause.

Seems the only thing predictable is that the industry is unpredictable.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nebraska -

Do you know the names of the editors of your local
newspaper(s)? Get to know their names. Do something newsworthy. Then tell them about it.

Aquascapes owner did something along the same lines I did to get media attention. I was able to cultivate what I did into some local TV time and a few newspaper articles (big ones). Aquascapes did a similar thing, but on a national level, and was on Good Morning America, or one of those morning shows, a few years back. That was a major springboard for them, as mine has been for me (though on a much smaller scale).

That kind of attention is great because it costs almost nothing, and it gives you a third party endorsement (having someone else say that you're great sounds a lot better than you saying you're great).

Now, what can you do that a newspaper/TV station would care about.....
Old 01-21-2002, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

HB,

I think a lot of what we see are people that basically don't care about the properties...They mow, blow and go! Put fertilizer down and walk over 6ft patches of clover and do not address the issue with the property owner!

I am revamping the marketing plan based upon Levenson's ideas in his book. Sounds like you have followed these to the T Stonehenge?
Old 01-21-2002, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A few of them, yes. And they've worked for me.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest point being what do you sell? The actual service or the benefits of the service.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The benefits. At least as far as the media is concerned.

I tried to describe to my wife what kinds of things I thought a media outlet might be interested in, and I have a hard time explaining it. I guess you're looking for something that can enrich the general population.

You have to come off like a benevolent sharer of information. Don't even try to make a sales pitch.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a template for press releases that you might be willing to share? The other mb was supposed to post it, yet have not seen it...
Old 01-22-2002, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure. What's an MB?

BTW, I was ready to post it somewhere else, and asked how, but nobody ever told me, so.........

I'll e-mail it to you.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a scenerio that presented itself. I received a call from a coach for a baseball team at a church on a medium volume road. The offer was that we mow (10 x) or fertilize (3x) the field in exchange for the ability to put up a sign facing the road as well as our name on their shirts. The sign would be about 8ft x 4ft.

The field is approximately a little less than 2 acres.

Anyone out there participate in an arrangement like this in the past or present?