Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Need Advise from the Pro's

I have been searching through the forum looking for a clear and consistent way to calculate estimates but not clear on the norm.
I would like to hear some examples from you fine folks on how you calculate your estimates.
Thanks for any input.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought I was decent at estimating until this one account.It was only 5 minutes from home and very small.Gated back yard with inground pool.Yard almost seemed to small for my 61" ferris.Well I told her $40/cut.Trimming ended up being a nightmare.Had a dry ditch in front by road.Well anyway I thought I could mow most of the ditch with the push mower.Did not look close enough.Could not get within 5' of ditch because of valleys in yard--very minute but there.Had to weed trim it all.What should have been 25 minute job turned into 70 minute.Told her then would have to get $55 and she said it was to much so I told her to get someone else.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Opps! Live and learn.

So you get around $1.50 a minute. Is that how you are figuring your estimates?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

it all depends on geography. i hear of guys on here making $120/hr w/ them and a helper. $1.50 is pretty good, just figure the time it will take and bid according to time, not size. slopes cost extra, excessive trimming is extra, etc. i like to put at least 50/hr in my pocket but if my market paid more i wouldnt complain. i aint trying to get rich, i just want to enjoy life and provide for a family one day.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I keep my time around 120.00 an hour,

NOW that's considering that there are 2 ZTR's and 2 men working, however If it's anything over 10 to 15 minute drive it's more,

This is just what I keep in mind while bidding, also there is the difficulty level, and weedeating issue...

Hope this helps
Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

^^^^^i wish i could get that here!
Old 07-19-2008, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
I keep my time around 120.00 an hour,

NOW that's considering that there are 2 ZTR's and 2 men working, however If it's anything over 10 to 15 minute drive it's more,

This is just what I keep in mind while bidding, also there is the difficulty level, and weedeating issue...

Hope this helps

In a previous post i thought you said $145 - $170 hr. What i think is that there are way too many people in here that just pretend. $60 an hour is a good rate to shoot for Solo. Too many dreamers in here.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 07-20-2008, 03:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes I seen his same post.But now his tune changes to $60/hr which is more realistic.I am only a part-timer and I tell customers my rate is $45/hr and really do not get any flack.Most of the time I get it if not a little bit more.Sometimes I overlook something and it may be down to $35/hr.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess rule of thumb is $60/hr. I have myself and two 16 year olds that work with me --- my son and one of his friends.I pay my son $15/hr and his friend $12/hr.They are dependable and hard working.When they work with me combined I bill them out for $40/hr.Being a part-timer I have a lot of give and take.One poor old woman needed a hilly area weeded off.Only took us 45 minutes to do.Only charged her for the mulch,I knew she did not have much money and no family.Did not have the heart to charge more.Her smile meant more when the job was done.I am sure I will be in her prayers.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$15 bucks an hour? I'm gonna come work for you! LOL