Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stander scaping, did you raise your rear mounts?

what is the best way to adjust the rear deck height mounts on a fixed deck stander assuming you do not have the use of a jack.

also you guys that cut san augustine how is your stander set up?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I stick a 12 ft long plank about 18" under the rear of my Stander, lift on the free end (8 to 1 leverage), and kick a sawhorse under the plank. Then, I put some bricks under the Stander and relieve the pressure on the sawhorse (it is not very stable).

A Stander sits so low, it is hard to get a jack under one. You might try driving one up on some wood blocks first, if you need to put a jack under one.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By the way, did you try adjusting the blade spacers? If you put all of the spacers below the spindle, the blade is very near the bottom of the mower and will tend to scalp. With 3 spacers on top the spindle (3/4" higher blade), the deck will contact the ground before the blade--you can end up scraping the soil this way, too.

I've never cut St. Augustine--it looks unpleasant!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 42" stander and when I bought it blades were set almost level with the bottom of the deck. The previous owner also had 2 sets of gator blades set helicopter style. Do I need 2 sets of blades and how much distant from bottom of deck to blades would you recommend. Thanks Terry
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tried running double blades once--it did not improve the cut for me. If you do run double blades, you may want to take one of the spacers out. Otherwise, the lower blade will be about .2 to .25 inches lower than a single blade would be.

I prefer running with only one spacer above the spindle (the lowest blade setting Wright recommends--see your owner's manual), but put up to three spacers on top of the spindle when I need to cut higher in late summer.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Sponsor

RhettMan,

There are some users in Florida that change the set of their mower to deal with St. Augustine and putting it in the high set is what they do. Look in your owners manual as far as the adjustments needed to accomplish this set-up. I also talked with our Florida distributor and they mentioned that sometimes in the St. Augustine what is percieved as scalping is actually the need for the grass to be dethatched. When the thatch builds up the roots are growing in the build up not the soil. So the mower is actually sinking into the build up and cutting off the full blade of grass. Also the minimun cut height is 3" especially in the summer months.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg. Service Dept.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

By the way I did end up raising (by lowering the rear hydros) my standers cut in July of 08, it made the cut MUCH better for thick san augustine.

God Bless Standers,

Wright Commerical what is the MSRP on your grass catchers?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
By the way I did end up raising (by lowering the rear hydros) my standers cut in July of 08, it made the cut MUCH better for thick san augustine.

God Bless Standers,

Wright Commerical what is the MSRP on your grass catchers?
Good Morning RhettMan!

Was there a particular Grass Catcher you are interested in that I can get you pricing for?

Kind regards,

Jillian Jensen
Sales & Marketing Administrator
Wright Manufacturing, Inc.
jillianj@wrightmfg.com
www.wrightmfg.com
Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the smallest of the catchers, I dont bag lawns, but wouldnt mind having the option