Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2002, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

GM trucks: hit or flop?

They are already planning a re-styling...

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=06506557
Old 01-02-2002, 09:42 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
Lawn guy ,in the short term anyway i think they were a hit because gmc-chevy togeather in full sized pickups outsold ford for the first time since 1994.
But that said the japs are getting into the frey more ,and the market is so competitive that you cant rest on your laurels.
Im not 100% on this but i think gm set a new todal light truck sales record for 2001.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say if theu start to make the front ends look like the new adavlench then i will start to look at ford and dodge!! And I have been a chevy guy all my life and so has my farther.I hope that they read these posts or get word of them the advalench is the uglest truck along with the aztec and its buick partner I would rather buy a used truck if that is all that is left.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:16 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
CAT320
You are right about that aztec who ever came up with that design ought to be fired .Same at ford whoever came up with that tarus back in 96 that thing was ugley to.The avalanch is a love it or hate it thing, a lot of people are buying them around here.Local dealer here got in 10 and sold them in 2 weeks.
I myself think they are odd looking ,different strokes for different folks i guess
Old 01-03-2002, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not too thrilled with my '98. It looks nice and all, but its just so, well, square. The new ones finally topped Dodge. But I predict 2003 sales will flop with that Avalanche front end. Fords usually looked nice, but that new design in 1997 was a loser. The 1999 fords are real nice too, though others say they are ugly.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

gm trucks

have 2000 silverado nice looking truck. great power and good mileage for small v-8.. bought new and have had several quality control and design problems.
1. steering squeal-replace steering rack
2. underhood light no-op-replaced light(bad again)
3. spare tire not removable-install bracket
4. brakes stop working if you hit bump in road while stopping-
no fix dealer claims operator problems
5. poping in steering column when going over uneven areas and turning
Old 01-04-2002, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i am a big chevy fan, but i dont know what drugs they were smoking when they created the avalanche. as for a hit or flop, they were a big hit. yes chevy did outsell ford for the first time, but when you think about it, GM has outsold ford in trucks for a number of years, because you should include GMC. i personally have a 2500HD and absolutely love it. the duramax motor is wicked powerful. definately a hit.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:38 PM

MDB
1994 and the years before than gmc and chevy always outsold ford .And 1977 and before chevy always out sold them by itself.
In 1966 when i went to work for gm they had 54% of all cars sales and then a guy by the name of rodger smith in the 1980's damm near killed gm.
Anyone who worked for gm in the 80's detests this man as much as they do the japs.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I also own a 2000 Silverado 4x4 and am not all that happy about it. Looks great, but that is where it stops. many problems, weak suspension, thin paint and you name it. I've been a CHEVY man all my life, it may now be time for a change
Old 01-04-2002, 10:06 PM

I guess there are always some lemons, but ive been owning chevy gmc since 1964 and ive only got one bad one.
And it was great on the inside, the outside was the problem it rusted away from salt during those big winters here in chicago in 1977 78.