Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Haha, what an off day.

So I have a couple years of sprinkling repairs behind me. And more when grandpa took me around as a kid. Today was a great one.

Went to a home last night. A zone wasn't turning on. Quick fix.. just swap out a manifold. Well in turning each one on to see which one it was i run into one that didn't turn off. Talk to the customer and agree to replace all 6 of them (2 boxes).

He was going out of town the next day (today) so I told him i would run to my supplier that night.. well I got there 5 mins after they closed. Bummer. So I figure ahhh maybe big box crap for this one... so I run to to Ace and Lowes.. all they have are Orbit valves.. yuck... these valves are everywhere out here. They manufacture them 30 miles away. I am always replacing them and will not use them for ANY of my repair work. I call the guy and say I can reschedule some stiff the next morning and be there right after my supplier opens.. All is good.

Get up, buy the stuff and get to diggin. Well I could have sworn I saw 3/4 poly mainline the day before... nope... its 1"... look in my parts boxes.. not one fitting (I know I need to get caught up and re-organize things) Anyways I run back to the supplier, get the freaking part and put the manifolds in.

Running through each one and they are all good. Except the last one... Turns on for 2 seconds then plunk.. nothing. Oh crap, something is in the line. Did it find it's way in when I ran back to the supplier? We try to back-flow.. nothing but some muddy water.

I dig down at the closest sprinkler... 3/4 inch poly.. but 1" was leaving the manifold?! This zone goes under some concrete steps mind you. I guess where it might go under and get lucky.. but still 3/4. Hmmmm... The valve box is 15 feet from the corner of the house.. maybe he reduced to 90 on teh elbow there. So I dig and follow that line.. no turn at the corner.. poly line... just meanders back and forth on its way to the concrete. I end up digging every 10 feet and find the reducer halway... yup 2 half inch rocks, some gravel and sand.

Get it all put back together and test. Ummm it turns on, great pressure.. but why wont it turn off? I just put the freaking thing in. Pull the manifold apart, put new top and rubber on.. still nope. Ran and exchanged the manifold. The new one works. Wire up and check.. all good. Customer left on trip while I am back-filling.

So yes lesson learned.. PROTECT OPEN PIPES! Need to go buy some end caps.. haha do they even make them for poly pipe?

And, the $360 repair job turns into $670 but it was known that I might have let the rock in.. so I eat that and charge the $360. Needless to say I didn't get done with the other stuff today....

CAP THOSE OPEN ENDS!

Last edited by JDUtah; 07-17-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we use duct tape brotha...

and sometimes i dont even cap my pipe cause I am careful...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

duct tape it is. And lol more careful it is too. TY
Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yw hoss...

One other thing I do is leave as much of the old pipe in the ground as possible, and when you couple go from the manifold to the pipe.....Just my thoughts also watch this video part 1 and 2 for a little more help..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=G0QjuZa06ZA
CSR
Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Info on the clamps? I like 'em.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
Info on the clamps? I like 'em.
They are 1 inch pinch clamps....I love em..did you use hose clamps?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT Stream Rotar View Post
did you use hose clamps?
Bullz-eye!

Where do you get the pinch clamps? And are you using a specialized tool to clamp them in the vid?

Oh, AND... do you always put a filter right before the valves? I love it. Might start doing that on every replacement.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Bullz-eye!

Where do you get the pinch clamps? And are you using a specialized tool to clamp them in the vid?

Oh, AND... do you always put a filter right before the valves? I love it. Might start doing that on every replacement.
I know that all supply places out here have them...

I know these guys sell them....
http://www.thesprinklerhouse.com/

The red handle things are called crimpers....I'll send you a pair and a few bags of clamps...you got any thing good to trade hoss? Home Owner remotes?

That filter reducer was for a drip zone that I decided to change around..I was going to attempt a reduced single female drip 1'' valve and then decided later on it was a bad idea..
I decided to put the reducer on the mainline there and have the valve then filter down stream..good times...

like so....

This worked great for me for the past year and change..

Im pround of this cleanup

Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Haha, newbie moment... didn't even know there were homeowner remotes. Still not sure what they are...

If you wanna send it I'll think up something. I still need to find them locally, Utah is always behind the times it seems.

Can't even see the dig on the last pic. nice
Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Haha, newbie moment... didn't even know there were homeowner remotes. Still not sure what they are...

If you wanna send it I'll think up something. I still need to find them locally, Utah is always behind the times it seems.

Can't even see the dig on the last pic. nice
sounds good brotha....Im always down to help out a fellow person wanting to learn...

remotes are the bomb....