Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2008, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Deere CT332 vs. Cat 287C!! HELP!

OK guys- this machine is not for me but for us at my full time gig. We are definately going to buy one. We have had the Cat since March and put a lot of hours on the new machine. We have paid rent...blah blah blah and thought we wanted it. Well, got the Deere a few days ago and have not used it a whole lot... We need to decide which machine we want- we like them both and can't decide between the pros and cons. I'd love some input from you guys- and please, don't suggest another brand. It's these two.

Cat- Nicer cab, SMOOTH, we like the tracks better, overall appearance is better IOO, it's a high flow XPS two speed, engine service in the rear is nice, heard bad things about the undercarriage

Deere- Powerful!!! A bit rough riding, seems to be a more simple design, tracks are more aggressive which might be bad, like the AC unit up top, not as smooth- almost runs like it's "grinding"... guys we know like the Deere unit, the track rollers are Strong!!

Any advice would be awesome!! They are picking up the Deere tomorrow and we need to make the call.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

im a deere guy i like the deere skids, people can say what they want about other brands...the 332 has some serious power behind it... i like how they operate too. The cats are nice also..its really a matter of opinion which one do you like better and go with it..Good luck! I hope to buy a new one next year as long as the damn economy picks back up
Old 07-17-2008, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have a 332 and it is a very powerfull machine. it pushes and digs like you wouldnt belive!! but after a long day im sore, its a VERY rough ride.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Cat will be better on fuel, and don't be put off by bad history on the Cat/ASV U/C's, people that can't handle them buy from the rest of the bunch as they are a bunch of pussies who don't know how to maximize their use of a suspended U/C.

One test I did on a Cat vs Deere was try to put my 3/4 gallon water bottle beside me in the cab, Deere failed, Cat won out, and I still have it today, always besides me in my roomy cab.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96

Last edited by bobcat_ron; 07-17-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Suck it Deere!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Trouble free Cat here

I bought a 247 with the "bad" ASV undercarriage, bought it used in 2003 with 300 hours.

Its now on its 6th year of being run hard and put away wet. Only trouble has been a stuck throttle cable, but at least its stuck wide open which just happens to be my speed.

Whatever you get, just watch who runs it. I loaned mine to a friend who used it in crusher run/ #57 stones and put more wear on the rubber undercarriage in 6 hours than I did in 6 years.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would ask for the prices of the U/C parts like tracks,rollers,idlers,sprockets or cage pieces and ask how many of each like rollerson the cat vs. deere and that will answer the Q,the deere will be cheaper.

minimax
10' Deere 323D CTL cab,EH controls,high flow,reverising fan 78" 4-in-1 bucket,US mower 72" Razor flail head, Deere PR96 power rake,Faver grapple
05' Kaufman gooseneck 14k trailer
00' FL70 Freightliner dump truck w/t high lift gate
00' Trail king tk20 trailer
97' Deere F1145 front mower
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimax View Post
I would ask for the prices of the U/C parts like tracks,rollers,idlers,sprockets or cage pieces and ask how many of each like rollerson the cat vs. deere and that will answer the Q,the deere will be cheaper.

minimax
You should see the post on the Skid Steer Forum I saw some time ago, one poor dude dished out over $1000 on a pair of rollers and new idler bearings, ASV's bearings are availible in any auto parts store. The front idlers are the only ones that get the damage, and they can be "re-donutted", rather than buying a whole new idler wheel, that is according to an email I got last night from an un-named source.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Easy decision. Go with the Deere. I'd guess it's a minimum of $10 to $15K less expensive. More lift, pushing power, bucket power, way more durable track system, easier/faster track adjustment, way easier to work on and service, better dealer network, the list goes on and on. You'll pay a premium for the "Cat" stickers up front over comparable machines. They'll cost you more to run every day you own them because of the high maintenance undercarriage and short track life. Then when you've finally had enough, you'll take a beating at trade in time because nobody will buy a Cat track machine with more than 2000 hours on it unless it's practically free because everybody out there knows what they're in for if they do.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Rain View Post
Easy decision. Go with the Deere. I'd guess it's a minimum of $10 to $15K less expensive. More lift, pushing power, bucket power, way more durable track system, easier/faster track adjustment, way easier to work on and service, better dealer network, the list goes on and on. You'll pay a premium for the "Cat" stickers up front over comparable machines. They'll cost you more to run every day you own them because of the high maintenance undercarriage and short track life. Then when you've finally had enough, you'll take a beating at trade in time because nobody will buy a Cat track machine with more than 2000 hours on it unless it's practically free because everybody out there knows what they're in for if they do.

Interesting poiint at the end. If you did chose to go CAT and you could live with the B series cab and pilots not E/H you could buy a used 287B and save yourself a grundle of money, even if you completely went through the undercarriage of the 287B you would be tens of thousands ahead of the new C model, but you would have an older machine. The resale is not good but if it is what you want you can take adavantage of that, run the guts out of it and have less the half the depreciation costs of a C model.

Run a CASE 450 Series 3 and tell us how it compares. Ride will be like the Deere, cab should on par with CAT and more torque than either machine, almost 100 foot pounds more than CAT. The CASE pilots are nice, but to be fair I have not run the Deere E/H. I have run the CAT E/H and they did not hit a homer with that release.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you all for the responses, particularly Mr. Rain- those are our exact thoughts. The machine is significantly more affordable and we like the track system much better....and minimax, concerning parts costs