Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2001, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Need a pros advise

I'm looking for another truck. Currently I use a 2000 Ford Ranger 4 *4 supercab to haul my 5 * 10 trailor & equipment. I know its a SMALL TRUCK but it works well for me & is good on gas.

I want to purchase another truck ASAP, What would you guys rec.

I don't plan on snowplowing & don't really haul heavy loads. All my past trucks were Fords but willing to try a different Make.

Thanks,
Bishop of CCL:alien:
Old 12-14-2001, 05:22 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
Bishop
Partner how much can you spent?If you got a good amount to spent i would recomend a chevy duramax 2500
Even if youre not hauling a big load now but plan on growing it still pays to get a heavy duty truck .Better transmissions and most all componants are built heavier.
If you cant swing a heavy duty one now get at least a half ton
Forget the ranger's s10's and the compact trucks
Old 12-14-2001, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

i'll have to agree w/ odin00 on the HD thing...just better all around. u said you're not planning to plow or haul heavy loads...i'm sure alot of us out haven't plannned on doing some of the things that we do...IMO it's better to have it...used to have a ranger back in the day, can't even compare it to my 250 now. i'm partial to fords but the chevys with the allison/duramax certainly have my interest...just my 2...
Old 12-14-2001, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't agree with HD thing. The reason is your said you don't plan on hauling really heavy loads. You will be paying very high price for overkill. Have you priced a truck like these. You have to cut a heck of a lot of grass to cover that expense. Not to mention, gas mileage sucks. Get a F150 or Chevy 1500 series. That will be more than plenty for what your doing. You will not pay 1/2 the price of a house to get it either. Regular upkeep is cheaper too.

My F150 is a 4.6 V8. Short wheelbase, Regular cab, auto, and I had a 3.73 gear put in. Pulls my 18' trailer with Lazer, metro, encore, etc. just fine. The trailer isn't an angle iron trailer either. Its solid square stock steel. Very heavy. Also have a 1500 Chevy. Long wheelbase, with 350. It also pulls this with no problems. If you plan to haul something like mulch in the back very often then add a set of $100 helper springs to the back and your done. Much much cheaper than a $40,000 that will still be hauling the same amount of weight either way.
Old 12-14-2001, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're not doing any plowing, then 2wd should do fine. That will save a few $$$$ right there.

For service like you describe, 65hoss is right - a good 1/2 ton will work fine for you.

IF your plans include bigger trailer/equipment/etc in the near future, then you may want to think about getting a heavier duty truck.

You know your situation best!
Old 12-14-2001, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise. I think I'm going to stick with an F-150 or chevy 1500.

One more question - I don't have alot of cash so do you think early 90's ford or chevy will be ok for the job?

Bishop of LCC:alien:
Old 12-14-2001, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the truck is in good condition, IMO an early '90's Ford or Chev should work fine for you.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, be fine if you make sure you get a good maintained truck. Take your time in looking, don't just jump on the first thing you see.