Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2008, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco HPS Premature engine failure?

OK guys, need your input.
I've got a 2 year old Lesco HPS ride on spreader that just stopped running this week. Took it to my regular shop (very honest guys, saved me a lot of money over the years) and they told me that the valves were sticking and that compression was low. They told me that we could try and repair the engine but he suggested that I go ahead and replace the engine. So that's what I'm going to do... at a cost of about 500 dollars. The unit probably has about 250 hours on it and has been serviced 2-3 times a year with all oil and filter changes. I've always been the only operator and I'm notoriously "gentle" with all my equipment. Wash and WD-40 on a daily basis.
I've always been worried about that Kawasaki engine because it always vibrated and shook like a sonofagun. Do they all do that? Is that because of the motor mount issues I've heard about?
Cables have always been a problem too, they need replacing often. I've gotten to the point where I stopped replacing the third hole and deflector cables. I just took them off. Now I just blow off all my sidewalks when I'm done.
I will say that It's a very productive machine when It's running.
Now that I'm through complaining... Here are my questions.

Anybody else had the same problems?

Any suggestions on the vibrating and shaking engine? Are they supposed to do that?

Any suggestions on new motor mounts since I'm replacing the engine?

I'm assuming that I'll be replacing my transmission soon, as I've heard they're also problematic. I've stopped dealing with my local Lesco (now Deere) service center since they've always seemed to do half-a$$ed work in the past.
Sorry about the rant guys... I'm just really dissapointed with the quality on this machine.
Any input would be appreciated
Old 07-16-2008, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the motor mounts have been a problem i have drilled one thru and bolted using the rubbers( the one near the left wheel looking from standing on the machine)and it help this will void any warranty. the mounts were always an issue and i don't like that model engine. that unit was made by ctp
and is still made under a cub name they designed and built it.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have a solutions for you, but a friend of mine replaced the engine on his HPS this year and it was only 2 1/2 years old. He bought the engine himself and replaced it, he said it fairly simple.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Im running 2 units, a 2004 and a 2005. One blew a head gasket that was repaired under warranty. Both machines have been great! I have replaced, cables,belts, bearings and one idler. Overall these machines have been great and we have made a ton of money with them. We are big on their maintenance, oil and filters every 25 hours,washdown and lube after each use and lots of fluid film.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how about putting a different motor on it?
the machine seems under powered anyway,
maybe a 8hp honda or a decent kawi 8hp.

the kawi it comes with seems kinda cheap,
and runs rough-- is it there bottom of the line
offering or something?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

same thing happen to my motor
Old 07-19-2008, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies

I appreciate the replies guys! The guy at the shop told me that he recommended the exact same engine for replacement. Maybe he just didn't want the headaches of putting a different brand of engine in. I should get it back next week so I'll let y'all know how it goes.