Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2008, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

where are they

We are new and had someone give us some advise that we should contact some of the national companies as they usually sub out their work. How or who are they and how do we contact them.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
We are new and had someone give us some advise that we should contact some of the national companies as they usually sub out their work. How or who are they and how do we contact them.
DOn't Do It !. print some flyers and pass them out door to door, talk to friends and family, put the word out you're getting into the lawncare buisness and do good work and the calls will come. you will do better by getting your own accounts rather then subbing for some big company. i'll sub out some accounts to you if you were in my area, that way you could do the work and pay me a good percantage of what you made and i'll sit at home. thats what those big companys will do, they will sub work out to you and then YOU do the work and have to pay them a good % of what you made. do it if thats what you want, but if i do the work i'm not paying someone else for it so they can sit at home. good luck
Old 07-19-2008, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_005 View Post
DOn't Do It !. print some flyers and pass them out door to door, talk to friends and family, put the word out you're getting into the lawncare buisness and do good work and the calls will come. you will do better by getting your own accounts rather then subbing for some big company. i'll sub out some accounts to you if you were in my area, that way you could do the work and pay me a good percantage of what you made and i'll sit at home. thats what those big companys will do, they will sub work out to you and then YOU do the work and have to pay them a good % of what you made. do it if thats what you want, but if i do the work i'm not paying someone else for it so they can sit at home. good luck
Posts like this kill me I have no relationship or love of the franchise type companies. You are seriously shortsighted if you think that is what big companies do sit at home and kick it on the 7-10% they are making off LCO's

They are assuming liability for what you are doing even if you are insured, ultimately it is their contract. They have spent a lot of time and energy supporting the industry through local and national associations. They have cultivated a relationship with the bigger companies and the LCO that gets the contract benefits from all the leg work they have done.

They would prefer to do the account themselves so they could make more money. Most likely they don't have enough staff in an area to cover the work.

You could spend your time marketing or working your choice.

Like everything there are good and bad companies to sub for. You will have to do your own homework. I have heard US Lawns subs out some work. I am not in the commercial market anymore but I get chapped when people with little to zero experience offer advise on things they no nothing about. You need to be on both sides of the fence to get the whole perspective.

Sitting at home getting rich off you Whatever...
Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
Posts like this kill me I have no relationship or love of the franchise type companies. You are seriously shortsighted if you think that is what big companies do sit at home and kick it on the 7-10% they are making off LCO's
No they don't sit at home but after I had myself a good chuckle over that
I still believe the point was made, don't do it.
At least not while you're still brand new!

Heck with the 'assumed' liability crap, if you break something while subbed you're still held responsible...
Granted they have to spring for it ultimately if you fail to come through for them, but it's still your tail.
Yes, so not only will they come after you but it's per their definition of liability, too!
So what happens if you accidentally are accused of breaking a trinket?
Whether you broke it or not, the customer says you did, what happens now?
The big company decides what to do, that's what happens first, and they may or may not believe you,
that's if they even listen to your side of the story and we all know how those corporate meetings go.
So how about if in your company you would never hold yourself responsible for broken trinkets
but if theirs does account for it then so will you, and I'm just getting warmed up but this assumed liability is BS.

So seeing how I have all the responsibility anyhow...
Why if I wanted this subbed stuff I'd just as soon work for someone else and skip right to the chase,
why fart around with the boring parts of the movie lol

But for someone with 5 or more years in, I can see it might be a plausible choice.

Last edited by topsites; 07-19-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_005 View Post
I know someone who does work like this with a middle man. He works 5 days a week, 5 hours a day and pulls in $45k a year. He also has a gas card that he gets to use freely.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenf View Post
I know someone who does work like this with a middle man. He works 5 days a week, 5 hours a day and pulls in $45k a year. He also has a gas card that he gets to use freely.
There ya go,,,, POINT MADE !

I dont see how ya could live off 45K a year....
Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I sub lawns out to an LCO that just started up this year....works out well for both of us. I will say, I went thru a few LCOs before I found the right guy

He doesn't pay me a percentage of anything....the customers pay me, and then I pay him. I call him up with a potential job and tell him what I will pay him for that job, and he can say yes or no.

Not a bad arrangement for a startup....how many threads have there been over the years by guys who started fast but now need more accounts??? Being a sub can give you the revenue you might need to keep going until you get more accounts of your own.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

subbing is just fine, many people have made a Good living at it, there is NO advertisement cost, very little leg work, many people are just not any good at bidding and meeting with other people face to face, so subbing is an option for them.

however in this business, it''s difficult to make a good living unless your after the very large commerical accounts...

Good Luck
Old 07-21-2008, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
How or who are they and how do we contact them.
Nobody answered the question. And I'm curious.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree, nobody has given any info on who these companys are. I want to thank everyone for the advice, but I would still like to know Who.