Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-07-2008, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Well on the way to Stihl place for the Ultra I thought about it,,,, cause I knew I would not leave myself alone, and went on down to the Amsiol guy and bought 6 of the 2.5 gal mixers and some gas, and still saved ten bucks.

On a side note it was about 1/2 the price of the Ultra.

After I had to listen to all the sales pitches. Let's hope it works as well as he says it will.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlgrooms View Post
Well on the way to Stihl place for the Ultra I thought about it,,,, cause I knew I would not leave myself alone, and went on down to the Amsiol guy and bought 6 of the 2.5 gal mixers and some gas, and still saved ten bucks.

On a side note it was about 1/2 the price of the Ultra.

After I had to listen to all the sales pitches. Let's hope it works as well as he says it will.
You should be very happy with it. I just bought a new BR600 2 weeks ago and have run Amsoil Saber at 80:1 in 89 gas with it. The things runs like a raped ape, but I think the true testament to the Amsoil was when it made a POS leaf blower I had run much, much better. I had always had trouble with it starting, and usually you had to run it at half choke for about 15 minutes before you could run it fully off. Now it starts on the 2 or 3 pull and runs with the choke fully off after about 10 secs. I'm sold on it and won't use anything else again.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH401 View Post
You should be very happy with it. I just bought a new BR600 2 weeks ago and have run Amsoil Saber at 80:1 in 89 gas with it. The things runs like a raped ape, but I think the true testament to the Amsoil was when it made a POS leaf blower I had run much, much better. I had always had trouble with it starting, and usually you had to run it at half choke for about 15 minutes before you could run it fully off. Now it starts on the 2 or 3 pull and runs with the choke fully off after about 10 secs. I'm sold on it and won't use anything else again.
I've had stuff like that happen with different pieces of my equipment the first time that I put Amsoil in them. I love the stuff!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH401 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolawns View Post
I've had stuff like that happen with different pieces of my equipment the first time that I put Amsoil in them. I love the stuff!
You know after running a two tanks of Amsoil through the br600 it seems to be a little perkier. I tried two tanks of Husky XP and it just didn't seem to be performing quite right.

I'm hooked now....Cant wait to try it my husky and the echo.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlgrooms View Post
and the echo.
If your ECHO's are like mine, they'll love the stuff. All of my Echo's run MUCH better. They start right up (none of them did before) & run at higher rpm's & I think they are more responsive. The same goes for STIHL IMHO.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm glad I found this post... I have been using Amsoil in all of my 2 strokes, with no problems. Monday of this week, my dealer had no Amsoil and sold me Stihl oil, said it would be as good. I have read on here many posts about how I should be running 93 or higher octane gas and Stihl oil. I mixed up a batch of 93 with Stihl oil, drained the tanks on my blowers and filled 'em up with the new mix. First thing I noticed was the god aweful smell from that mix, (Amsoil has a pleasant smell that reminds me of racing MX)
Wednesday of this week... POP, 5 minutes later... POP. 2 Stihl BR600's set right up within 5 minutes of each other.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfromNY View Post
Wednesday of this week... POP, 5 minutes later... POP. 2 Stihl BR600's set right up within 5 minutes of each other.
Do you mean blown-up or locked up from using the Stihl mix?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I run full synthetic in everything I own. No offense but I wouldn't ever put Am[way]sOil in anything I own. Of course, there's a story behind that and since you no longer work for them I feel it's safe to tell it. I was with a buddy a few years ago at the Fall Nationals drag race. My buddy knew a pit crew member who worked on the Amsoil sponsored car. He was showing us around the pits and in the trailer. To my surprise, there was a guy in the trailer swapping out oil. He was pouring Mobil 1 into the Amsoil bottles. I asked why. His response was they had to so people walking by the car in the pits would see them pouring oil into the engine out of an Amsoil bottle. I said, no, that's not what I meant. Why don't you just use the oil that came in the Amsoil bottle? He kinda laughed a little and said they at least want to make it to the end of the track. I was totally shocked. I asked if it were that bad? He said what car do you know of comes factory-filled with Amsoil? He then said I can name 10 cars right now that come factory-filled with Mobil 1 and that there were reasons behind that.
First of all, I never worked for them. I lost my job at a outdoor power equipment dealer. Anyone whom sells Amsoil does not work for them. We are all independent dealers running our own businesses, just like you running a lawncare company. This is why you will never find Amsoil in cars straight off the line. Amsoil supports small businesses unlike Mobil. Where do you ever see a guy selling Mobil out of his garage trying to make a few bucks on the side. If Amsoil were available to everyone like Mobil is, a ton of small business owners including myself are out of business. Small businesses keep this nation strong. Oh yeah, corporate money is the only reason behind why Mobil is used in vehicles at the factory.

Makes you wonder if there are any "under the table" deals at the drag strip like in the "corporate" world?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmsoilPower View Post
First of all, I never worked for them. I lost my job at a outdoor power equipment dealer. Anyone whom sells Amsoil does not work for them. We are all independent dealers running our own businesses, just like you running a lawncare company. This is why you will never find Amsoil in cars straight off the line. Amsoil supports small businesses unlike Mobil. Where do you ever see a guy selling Mobil out of his garage trying to make a few bucks on the side. If Amsoil were available to everyone like Mobil is, a ton of small business owners including myself are out of business. Small businesses keep this nation strong. Oh yeah, corporate money is the only reason behind why Mobil is used in vehicles at the factory.

Makes you wonder if there are any "under the table" deals at the drag strip like in the "corporate" world?
That interesting. Can't say that I knew that, but it makes sense. All I know and all I care is how my equipment performs while using Amsoil compared to other oils. I can notice a difference! It's also cheaper in the long run (6 months to a year). I only use Amsoil Saber for my 2 cycles! I don't use dino oil in anything now. I've already given away my supply of dino 2 cycle oil & I'm finding other uses for my supply of regular dino oil. I'm just not using it to lubricate engines!
Old 11-08-2008, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
I first started running Amsoil's best 2 stroke oil back in 98 and I was running it in a highly modified Sea-Doo and went on to start paying the $20 a year for a preferred customer account.

The $20 paid for itself when I ordered the first 4 gallon case so it was a no brainer to sign up for that account. I had kept up that account intermittently ever since and it just happened to lapse a few months ago and then I saw Hoyt's post about signing up people to a commercial account. So I was happy to sign up and get the discounted price without having to continue to pay the $20 a year to maintain a preferred customer account.

I've also ran their automotive oil in my vehicles and did the extended drain just as they instruct and of course never had any problems. I was a little leery of going to the 100:1 ratio with the Saber so I went to 75:1 instead today in my 2 chainsaws. I have a 10 year old Stihl 025 and a brand new Husqvarna 455 Rancher. I have a huge pile of logs in my yard and am renting a log splitter in the morning and I've got a lot more cutting to go tomorrow and Sunday.. Not during Church hours of course. I've had no problems and the smoke and smell are almost non-existent compared with Stihl oil.

My main job is still as an electrical lineman and I've been running Stihl saws since 91. When my crew isn't busy working on power lines we are trimming out right of way and topping trees. The company I work for has contract tree trimmers but, when we aren't busy with line work we've gotta be doing something and I wish my company would swap to Amsoil. The Stihl oil often causes us to be fumigated from the saw's exhaust when we are cutting on the ground with little air stirring.

Stihl's oil is no doubt quality oil but, does Stihl make their own oil? Not likely just like Bombardier does not make the highly overpriced oil they recommend for their Sea-Doo's and Ski-Doo's. Castrol makes the oil for Bombardier and the Bombardier full synthetic oil is almost twice as high as the comparable Amsoil Interceptor oil.

I just hate to over pay for anything and I'm sure everyone in these forums is pretty aware of how much equipment and maintenance cost their business. If you can run a high quality 100% synthetic oil that appears to offer benefits above the other popular oils and it save your business money to boot then I don't know why you wouldn't.

Last edited by Pennington Lawncare; 11-08-2008 at 01:10 AM.