Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2013, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Just like looking at oil to see if it's dirty or used up, looking at oil to determine viscosity can't be done.
I was very fortunate to be trained as a master tech when computer controlled cars were just becoming the norm. Because I was taught both the new school and old school methods. There was a time when we could look at, smell, and feel oil to determine the condition. We could rejet engines by reading spark plug color. Obviously new technology has eliminated most of these techniques which were not as accurate. So I dont need an education on synthetic oils or why you can mix at 100:1. Not all synthetics are created equal. Castrol still claims to be fully synthetic using group 3 base stocks. Amsoil uses group 4 and 5 base stocks which makes it a true full synthetic. I have mixed HP Ultra at 100:1 and it has the feel of straight gas so I would not dare run it. Amsoil mixed at 100:1 has a different feel more similar to others mixed at 50:1. Call me old school but I still use my senses as a indicator to tell me when something is wrong. So to post a claim that all synthetics can be mixed at 100:1 could be dangerous.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 10-15-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dangerous and ridiculous, especially since somebody may take that advice and blow up a machine/s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Dangerous and ridiculous, especially since somebody may take that advice and blow up a machine/s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Which post/what advice are you referring to?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm agreeing with GMLC that no claim should be made that all synthetic oils can be mixed at 100:1 and is safe for all 50:1 machines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I agree with him too. Saying any other synthetic can be mixed at 100:1 may be true, but only as far as the fact that it can be mixed that way. I darn sure wouldn't use any other brand that wan't rated by the manu for 100:1 that way.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have it your way, I don't care. I have used Stihl HP Ultra at my standard 80:1 with zero ill effects. I did it on the advice of a Stihl dealer.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've called at least 3 different Stihl dealers and talked to them about that, and every single one of them said- "I wouldn't do it if I were you. It wasn't designed for it".

Last year I posted an email I got from Stihl directly saying not to go over 50:1 (numerically) with HP.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Just like looking at oil to see if it's dirty or used up, looking at oil to determine viscosity can't be done.

The reasons I gave for being able to use Amsoil at lean mix ratios are the reasons why you can do it. Not because Amsoil is a concentrate. If you can find it anywhere in official Amsoil print, then I'll believe it. Believe it or not, there are people out there that will tell you anything to get you to buy something.

Read this... https://utextension.tennessee.edu/pu...ts/sp268-Q.pdf
As you said, "Believe it or not there are people out there that will tell you anything to get you to buy something."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Have it your way, I don't care. I have used Stihl HP Ultra at my standard 80:1 with zero ill effects. I did it on the advice of a Stihl dealer.
Zero ill effects so far

You could run a 2 stroke on straight gas with zero ill effects until the piston seizes.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I learned long ago to double check everything a dealer tells me. I call the company's directly for answers. Most of which use recorded lines now. I had a very lengthy conversation with Amsoil techline about mixing at 100:1, jetting, oil related engine failure warranty etc. As Ridin' and others know I was not on board for a long time. After years of racing 2 cycle bikes we were running mixtures as rich as 15:1 with more horsepower on dyno runs. Anyway Im glad I gave Saber a shot and save a boat load of money in the process.
Posted via Mobile Device