Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2008, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo trimmer---what have i forgot.

I have an old echo gt-2200 string trimmer that is not running right. It starts and idles fine but when squeeze the throttle, its hesitant to rev up and at wot its kind of boggy.
I removed the spark arrester and cleaned the exhaust port, even tried running it with no muffler, still no change
I put a new spark plug in, still nothing
I took the carb apart and cleaned every hole with carb cleaner
I tried choking while it was running to see if there was a lean condition but it didnt help.
I hit the primer bulb while it was running, it bogged
I took the fuel filter off and ran it without it for a minute, still nothing.
There is only one adjustment screw on the carb. Its a walbro wy series. setting it to one click leaner, kinda clears it up a little but but still not right.
Im thinking maybe i need to rebuild the carb with some new gaskets but who knows.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themow View Post
I have an old echo gt-2200 string trimmer that is not running right. It starts and idles fine but when squeeze the throttle, its hesitant to rev up and at wot its kind of boggy.
I removed the spark arrester and cleaned the exhaust port, even tried running it with no muffler, still no change
I put a new spark plug in, still nothing
I took the carb apart and cleaned every hole with carb cleaner
I tried choking while it was running to see if there was a lean condition but it didnt help.
I hit the primer bulb while it was running, it bogged
I took the fuel filter off and ran it without it for a minute, still nothing.
There is only one adjustment screw on the carb. Its a walbro wy series. setting it to one click leaner, kinda clears it up a little but but still not right.
Im thinking maybe i need to rebuild the carb with some new gaskets but who knows.

[COLOR="Blue"]Hi, can you get another carb' off another machine (even borrow one) It's tempting to say buy a new carb', but they can be expensive. It might be an air leak or crankshaft seals. My money's on the carb, good luck[ Phil /COLOR]
Old 07-24-2008, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With todays bad fuel you can bet its the carb. I replaced 2 carbs this year and on was on my power broom that i bought last year and only used like 10 times.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 07-24-2008, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

the carb itself goes bad????

What about the gasket set or even yet the repair kit that has new jets and seat and stuff?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

What about the gasket set or even yet the repair kit that has new jets and seat and stuff?

the problem is usually in the small passages getting clogged from the crappy fuel breaking down. Its been my experiance that its a 50/50 shot in fixing it. So if i cant spray it clean i replace it and wont bother spending money on a gasket kit.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 07-24-2008, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

The trouble with these small carbs is they have airways and drilling so small that even ultra-sonic cleaning will not always unblock them.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

ok im going to go clean the carb again right now. more carb cleaner and compressed air. I will update in an hour
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like an adjustment. I've never seen one of those carbs w/out 2 settings ("H" & "L"). Here's where you can get a new one or parts http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/322_two_...tors_kits.html

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It's not often I will say this, but it seems like you have covered everything
I would have check, and it's time for a new carb. Here is a link to the Walbro site and a service manual and trouble shooting. Please keep us posted on your progress. Good Luck

http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

i cleaned the damn thing and blew it out again with compressed air and still the same. It seemed the needle wasnt lifting up enough so i took it apart again and tried to make a minor adjustment to it but still nothing. It smokes at full throttle.....