Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
IMO its thinking like that that is responsible for the crime rate we have now. IMO its just a privilege of being an American to have the right to defend your property. Maybe this guy went overboard, but he did what he felt was right defending his property.

I don't think anyone has said the kid shouldn't have gotten his tail kicked. We're saying the response was way over the top and to an extreme and he's now risked his families future. There is a prescribed penalty for attempting to steal something or to vandalize something. And brain injury and broken ribs isn't it. A jury is going to award the kid's family some damages. The kid is in ICU and has a "brain related injury". Do you have a clue how much that is going to cost the LCO and the family he was trying to protect? He could have bought dozens of new mowers for what he's going to pay now because he over reacted. He didn't control the situation nor himself. He acted like a thug.

And while you're talking about the crime rate, please consider that the kid's crime was less server than the LCO's. One involved thief/vandalizm and the other involved almost killing someone. If you want to be tough on crime, be tough of all of it, even the crime against people you don't like.
I notice youre from Baton Rouge. We now have laws here resembling some in Texas regarding protecting your property. Had that happened here in La. chances are the kid would have been shot, and it would have been justified. I dont ever think beating someone unconscious is ever a good idea. Like you stated the LCO will more than likely wind up paying out his arse for a lawsuit. I also realize that when you loose your temper sometimes its hard to control your actions. Not at all justifying the severity of the beating, but I see it as defense of personal property that got out of control not some thug beating the crap out of a innocent person.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Crooks get killed all the time in SC. If they're on your property stealing, that poses a threat in it self... shoot first ask questions later.. heck here you're even allowed to have a loaded handgun in your car. Sorry the kid might die or have some serious damage, but he caused it himself.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

here in AR you cant shoot them in the back if they try to run when you see them and yell at them. but if they act like they reachin for a weapon or so much as run at you.... then deadly force is justified. as for the gun in the thieves hand.... the serial # is scratched off so thief must have stole it from somewhere or paid cash on street. im sure theres plenty more cheap, used, untraceable guns were that came from..... come on... i know you landscapers know how to plant things.

i say we need to adopt third world countries style of justice. catch a thief... cut off his hands.

and ever since i put a gun rack on my ztr rops (see other thread) havent had anything stolen.

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag:
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Sad to see that the law in the U.S is even more on the criminal's side than it is here in the UK.
Thought you might like to know what happened when a tree surgeon who lives on the next street from me was burgled last year. He lives in a third floor apartment, and woke one night to find himself confronting a total stranger in his bedroom. A struggle ensued and the intruder ended up falling three storeys to the ground (solid concrete). He died shortly afterwards.
The tree man was arrested, but eventually released without charge after it was found that the burglar had a long criminal history, had two of the tree-man's chainsaws (taken in a previous burglary) at his house, and there was no evidence that the dead man had taken a beating before pitching off from the third floor.
I wasn't too broken up to hear about the burglar's downfall. A few months previously, I had chased off three thieves armed with iron bars who had smashed the rear window of my vehicle parked outside my house to steal a trimmer in the back. They didn't get the trimmer but they didn't stick around to pay for a new rear window either. Of course I reported it but no-one was ever charged, because they were wearing hooded tops and I couldn't identify them.
Thieves have respect for other people's property: they merely wish the property to become their property so that they can more perfectly respect it.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most of you are dangerous. Makes us look bad.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 07-30-2008, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
It does, but there's another old saying:
"Beware the fury of the patient man."
Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I don't know about that. Maybe it's the fact that some of us have bigger stones than you when it comes to protecting our property. That being said, there's nothing wrong with your approach if it suits you. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to cause great bodily harm to a thief if I caught him in the act of stealing anything from my home or my rig. If as a result of that injury, the thief end up in the hospital or morgue is his problem....not mine. The way I see, he started it and I finished it.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, Punt. Pssst. Yeah, you. I'd have to agree that a thief(especially a kid) does not deserve to die for stealing a trimmer. I do believe in something called stiff consequences, though, and the US government's consequences are too lax if you ask me. A parent of one of these delinquents will argue, "He's really a good kid, he just got in with the wrong crowd." NEWS FLASH: That kid IS the wrong crowd. When members of the wrong crowd get older, they may tend to be more violent. I say take him down hard before he can strike again--suffering brings repentance. I think Barney Fife would agree, "You have to nip it in the bud."

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Nothing, and I mean nothing, tougher than an internet tough guy.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I know its easy to make jokes about killing these people and some may actually do it. But you guys need to remember these are fathers, brothers, sons of other people. For an example my father inlaw was abandoned by his family when he was 9. he lived on the streets and was a pick pocket and thief to survive. One day he was caught in the act and pistol whipped untill unconcious. He was lucky he wasnt shot. Well when he got into his twenties he found God, got married and had 4 kids. He worked hard at a real job and all 4 of his kids graduated college with bachelor degrees except my wife who has a masters in computer engineering. Her father is now a minister and ran for govenor of his town. I know its frustrating to deal with thiefs and i dont know what my first reaction would be if i caught one in the act, but it wouldnt be to kill them.
i been thinking about what you said all night. you know... you are absolutely right. so help me put an end to the death penality and the war in iraq. after all... all those people our government kills in the name of justice.... they all have families and are somebodys kid. lets free the death row inmates. after all, they may become christians and walk into a TN church..... to shoot people.

people who have carry permits in my area arent allowed to take their guns to schools or churches. guess where all the shootings take place in the south. schools and churches and everywhere else the criminals know the good guys cant take their guns.

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag: