Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2008, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody Use the Sealer from Protect?

Has anybody tried it? What do you guys think of it?

And what about lefarge? The sell asphalt emulsions driveway sealer... they say it is oil based? Can I use this without sand?

Last edited by Loooogie; 07-27-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

The Asphalt Emulsion is not oil based but it is water based... so if you are using a self lubricated pump such as the albany it will not work for long you will end up wrecking the gears in the pump.

As far as the sealer Pro-Tect sells is Blackmac and is cut with NAPTHA. There are other sealers sold on the market that is cut with Minireal Spirits and be very cautious if you go back and for not to mix becaues it can turn drivways brown when mixed.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Exclamation

Watch out for the sealers with Naphtha/mineral spirits---that's paint thinner and (a) can blow up or burn (b) will dissolve the asphalt if over applied-no fixing it (c) is illegal in 13 NE states for environmental reasons though some enforce it and some don't seem to care.

I saw a guy use a regular seal machine to apply that type stuff to a "chicken place" they were remodeling near here and he got it too thick.
It just turned the pavement to a black gooey mess that stayed that way...as soon as they drove on it it just crumbled all up and tracked everywhere...he tried sanding it and such but finally they had to have all that stuff removed and the place repaved with new asphalt. I don't know who paid.
So be VERY careful that you have a machine made for it (no "boom" and made to spray thin) and apply it VERY thin.
It's a "wear off quick-seal every year" product with a poor reputation in the industry but some people like it because since it has naptha you can use it in cooler weather than the emulsions and gain a few months a year and since it goes on one coat-real thin, one tank does a LOT...also because the naphtha "cuts" into the asphalt the pavement doesn't have to be as clean. On hills it can be VERY slick when wet though so keep the GL paid up.
I have also heard it has gone way up. It was always more expensive than regular sealers and with the naphtha in it I bet it has gone sky-high, I bought some paint thinner the other day and it's doubled in a year since last time I bought some.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Here in Canada it isn't illegal it is actually used a lot. And as far as the guy that used it and it didn't dry is probably because once he got the stuff he cut it again with too much of something or the sealer was crap when he bought it. The stuff that is sold here will dry on a sunny day within an hour or two. I agree the product does last only a year or two before the wear starts to really show. I don't know what this chicken place guy used or what he may have cut it with but the cut back sealer that is used here is very widley used with very little problems. There are company's that have been spraying here in Canada for as much as thirty years. Yes it is a class three flamable liquid. As far as the poor reputation is concerned... that seems to be comming from the places were it is regulated .... again up here it is used very widley from driveways to commercial parking lots and it is even to code to use on foundations. You DO have to clean the pavement before you put the sealer on. From your statement I am beggining to think you have not used or sprayed with the stuff very much or even at all and you have just pushed stories that you have heard and maybe have heard second hand.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you add NAPTHA? Price issue?

Surface max: Have you ever sprayed cut back or black mac?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I spoke to lefrage they told me black mac is water based and their asphalt emulsions was oil based.

The also told me it takes 72 hours to dry...

They need to get thier act together...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

We do not cut the sealer with NAPTHA it is made with it.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for clearing that up, I was under the wrong impression.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

It's all good.... we are all here to learn and get tips and help each other out.