Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-27-2008, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
How many applications can this thing do that others (CTLs) cant? . Once CAT gets the CTL on line, these machines will be a rarity among tracked buyers. They were designed and built as a niche specialty item that should never have been sold as the answer to all tracked applications It should have been left to a small company like ASV to fill.
I have never had too turn a job down that I could not do because I do not have a suspended CTL machine.
Maybe one day I will but I have not as of yet.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

AWJ, How many hours have you got on your machine now? How is the rubber holding up? Just wondering.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have about 600 hours or so on it.The Drought killed me here.
I only put about 50 hours on it since last october.
The tracks look good and I expect 1000+ hours.
I use mine in gravel alot as well as any imaginable condition.
I will snap some pictures later.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First off, that rubber on the rollers is extremely tough, almost like semi-pneumatic tires on a skid steer, but harder. If those rollers were made of a softer rubber, I wouldn't like the system very well and they would be replaced with steel rollers (Bair's aluminum rollers wouldn't even last a weekend, damn scrap metal thieves) but I understand the concept of rubber on rubber contact.

Putting 200 hours on this machine, in the worst conditions I have encountered, is a testament to how well this system works for me,it may not work for others, especially those in the first time CTL/MTL market, but because this is my second tracked machine, I knew what I was capable of doing.

I can easily justify this machine, no matter what, payments are only $740 a month and my fuel bill hardly goes over $400 a month (truck and equipment) I worked it out to 7 hours of jack hammer work in 1 month makes a monthly payment or just 12 hours of hogging soil around, as long as the machine pays for itself every month, I'm fine. The haul charges for the equipment and other haul charges (buckets and attachments for big brother) pay for the fuel for the truck. The rest comes from the other income. Even though I am late with getting paid, there is always money coming in every month from my Dad's business, he's 10%, big brother is 80% and my line of work is the left over 10%, certain months the ratios change big time, as you can see from my work pic threads, when you see a lot of big iron work, it's usually 90% or when all you see is nothing but small iron for 1 week, the ratio changes again.

I honestly think that once Cat introduces the new CTL's and starts building the smaller frame CTL's, there will be a vast majority that will still hold on to their MTL's, I am one of them. I will not give up the low ground pressure and tread pattern for something that will have more weight and need more fuel to operate. By the time I am ready to start replacing rollers or even tracks, I will be in another Cat, but that is like saying I will be moved out of the house, married to a hot blond and have a kid and a dog while living in the 'burbs. Fat chance. I'd rather see an entire undercarriage replacement program offered exclusively by Cat to buy back ASV U/C's (that they deem in good shape) and in exchange get a conventional set up, like I mentioned before, that just bolts right on, I would do it, but I would need some time to try it out.

As for the bearings, big deal, these are just common bearings you buy at a local automotive parts store, there's even a plug on the roller that you can thread a grease fitting into and pack the bearings, kinda simple really. And if there is end play, pull the dust cap off, and tighten the nut slightly and replace the nut, it's all in the parts manual and owner's manual.
It sure beats the hell out of dropping the entire track, dropping a roller out, taking it to a press and removing the bearings and buying new ones.

But I didn't post the pics to brag, nor will I defend this system to the bitter end of the universe, just some informative information.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-27-2008, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey there cry-babbies.. Aren't we all making money here? We all must be doing something right. Ctl or Mtl who cares..

J.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

ksss....we know where your alligance is with the power tan.....the key to tracked compact skid frames is knowing how to bill your customers to pay yourself and the machine.....I will not sell a tracked machine to a customer that does not understand the 80-90 per hour for a tracked unit... I am guessing that Ron had the same speech and is charging a similar amount.....just don't quote that number to your customer, just keep it in the back of your mind.....if have that mindset, any tracked skid will work out in the end and make a guy money......

buy the way...what do you guys think is a fair hourly depreciation rate on track skids? so far the industry has been all over the board regardless of make.... i would appreciate your honest opinions.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron peddler View Post
ksss....we know where your alligance is with the power tan.....the key to tracked compact skid frames is knowing how to bill your customers to pay yourself and the machine.....I will not sell a tracked machine to a customer that does not understand the 80-90 per hour for a tracked unit... I am guessing that Ron had the same speech and is charging a similar amount.....just don't quote that number to your customer, just keep it in the back of your mind.....if have that mindset, any tracked skid will work out in the end and make a guy money......

buy the way...what do you guys think is a fair hourly depreciation rate on track skids? so far the industry has been all over the board regardless of make.... i would appreciate your honest opinions.
From what I saw at Richie Brothers last week, my thoughts that it is $23.00 per hour, and from what I saw the Cats sell for maybe $28.00 -$30.00 per our. Sorry Ron, that is what I saw.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For any of you out there intrested in my hourly rates:

$68 for all out dirt hogging and general bucket work
$85 for brush cutting
$105 for jack hammer.

These rates have not changed since going from the T190 to the Cat, but they have increased due to the fuel costs.

Overtime rates are a six pack for the first hour, a bottle of Jack for the second hour and a hot, cute college girl for anything after my 2 over time paid hours are finished.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSKIDSTEER View Post
From what I saw at Richie Brothers last week, my thoughts that it is $23.00 per hour, and from what I saw the Cats sell for maybe $28.00 -$30.00 per our. Sorry Ron, that is what I saw.

Honestly, I could give 2 sh*ts about hourly depreciation, if I am going to trade my machine off, it's going to be for another Cat, and dealers always give you what you want for your trade in when it's their own machine.

I still laugh when ever I see my T190 still up on CatUsed.com, Finning will never get rid of that POS, and even some people are telling me they gave me waaay too much on trade in, but Finning wanted the exposure, so what ever.

Here's the old POS in all of it's ugliness!
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSKIDSTEER View Post

Not sure this is the best time to accurately determine an hourly depreciation rate. Three years ago was also not the best time to do it either though. If you're really trying though, find rates from the past 4-5 years (experienced or hearsay) and then do a weighted average on them. Don't make it an equally weighted average either, give more weight or less depending on the boom-bust cycle (if you will) that we have been in over the last 5-6 years. That will allow for a better rate. From an accounting perspective its just straight line computation for most machines over a fixed operating period. That's rarely adequate for the work most do here on lawnsite.com. This ain't the mining or heavy aggregate business model here on lawnsite.