Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you who build bogs like Firefly and AZ, is there any kind of routine maintenance you have found necessary. In the large bog, pond combination I built I put in a cleanout for each lateral just in case. Do you ever have to clean the gravel? I am bidding another nice pond right now and am debating on using the bog again.

The other one I did still has great clarity. Seems to be really well balanced already.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We pull the pump quarterly and clean it out. Then we put a pvc cap with a threaded valve stem on the outgoing side and run the air compressor up to about 40-45 lbs and blow out the line. It starts looking like the bog is boiling.

The funny part is this is just what the pond owner has asked us to do, kind of a peace of mind kind of thing to see everything is still flowing. I had nothing to do with it except mounting the valve stem in a cap as opposed to blowing air into a pipe while holding a rag over the end. If it ever does not work I don't know what we would do short of ripping the bog apart. This one has been working about 3 years with no problems, it is a 8,000 gallon pond.

The H/O also applies a biological product to oxygenate the water.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANC Stone Creations View Post
The bog area should be about a 1/3 the surface area of your pond.
It should be located higher in elevation then the top of the water in the pond.

Bogs are not deep but rather shallow places only 4"-6" deep of washed pea gravel. But remember over time the water level in your bog may rise 4"-5" do to plant growth in bog.

You need water plants for the bog to complete the filter as the rocks only filter so much.

Some other plants you may use in the bog are Day Lilies, Astilbe and Hostas but remember to remove all the dirt from the roots.

Hope this helps.
I disagree with these numbers. Go to http://bogfiltration.com/bogfiltration.html , this is how we build ours. I promise you will want to install this version when it comes time to clean your bog. It is so easy to maintain this system verses having to tear out all the gravel to cleanout, which we just did last week for a customer.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is one we did in Atlanta, GA in July this year. The plants aren't in yet in the pic.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Xtreme,
Very nice link on the bog filters

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post

The pump moves the water from the lower bowl and into the perforated pipe that is run in serpentine loop at the bottom of the bog. .
What is a serpentine loop?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive built a lot of bogs over the years and the way i do them now is a lot easier. The typical rule is for a bog is 10% of your pond size. I preferr bigger though. How we create our bog system is typically they are about 18" deep. We create a settlment chamber or void in the bottom of the bog usually around 8" deep using 8" cinder block we place a corrigated grate over the chamber. The way we clean out our bogs is to put a vault in so a pump can be used to suck out the crude that has collected in the chamber. To make it easier slant your bog toward the vault. We run a up flow pipe in and then we fill with gravel. We us different sizes of gravel the first being a 3-4" stone then wash 57 the a fine gravel placed on top of the grate. When we plant a bog we use plants that have an aggressive root systems iris, rushes, hardy canna, hardy umbrella palm, bog beans, parrots feather etc. I would stay away from using lava rock in a bog system because the porus make-up of the stone gets clogged with dirt and sediment. I use this system on large koi ponds 20x20 and up without U.V. and i have never had water clarity problems. Usually on a large koi ponds my bogs will be 30-40% size of the pond. Most homeowners dont understand how big a koi can get. A bog filtration system is the best way to go in my opinion if you have the space to build one.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Where did you get the waterwheel xtreme? pond looks great!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

It was donated from a local craftsman in the community.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Bog filters

Stay away from cattails, very invasive and harder than heck to dig out and remove. There are several others I don't use but don't remember right at the moment which ones.