Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-27-2008, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone with F450-550 trucks and tire reccomendations

This is my first truck with 19.5 wheels and the R250F Bridgestones I bought for the truck last year for my steer tires are almost done. Not impressed with the Kilometerage I have 18,000kms (11,185 miles) on them and they are need replacing. They wore out faster than the 16 inch tires I'am used to.

They sure don't hold a candle to the original Generals that were on the truck when I bought the truck.

With this hot weather the pavement is hot and its really pealing the rubber off the Bridgestones. I also have a truetrac in the rear diff with bandag gripper tread they grip the road good so it really pushes the truck in the corners.

The Bridgestones have been bad from the start they were almost square tires and the tread squirm was horrible. Now both current tires have worn the inside rib down to the wear bar. The truck has brandnew ball joints and the alinement is good.

Now I'am looking for a tire that will last longer than what I have. I can try squeek some more life out of the Bridgstones if I pay the tire shop to take the tires off the rim turn the tires and remount and balance it would cost me 100 dollars.

Anyhow has anybody had any luck with Michelin XZE or the Yokohama Y023 or the Toyos in 225 19.5 .

The Bridgestones I have currently have 4/32 tread depth difference on the wear bars from the inside rib and outside rib.

The 225 70R19.5 Bridgestone cost me 300 dollars each the Michelins will probably cost 340 each.

Oh ya Bridgestone Touts the R-250F a "long wearing tire"
Old 07-27-2008, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another option maybe to go to an all position tire and rotate them through out all positions. That equalize the wear and extend overall tire life. Although yours is a 4X2 as I recall so you will be giving up some traction but maybe throw the grippers on in the Winter months and put the all positon tires on during the other 9 months of the year.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is what we have been doing

For the 4x4s I sought out the Continental/Generals. You should too! I think the fronts ended up being LMT400s. We put more than 40,000 miles on a set of those fronts, including for plowing. With 4x2, I'd move to a straight steering tire. My 550s, and those of my customers eat the fronts up so badly that rotating only makes all of the tires wear out faster. Some guys had 550s that couldn't get 20,000 miles on them before the all positions (which looked like a drive lug) were very choppy and out of shape.

For the cab forward 4x2s with the same size tires, I've run Goodyears with success, and recently put some no-names on one of them to see if there is a difference. There was a price difference. No matter what the case, when the fronts wear out I have them re-treaded with a goodyear drive tread and put them into service at least one or two more times for less than half of replacement cost.

It is cost effective to keep the retreads on the shelf as ready spares and for replacement upon wear. I keep one 550 rim with a new Continental steering tire mounted in case a front blows out.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You must be a maniac behind the wheel! My factory tires are still in good shape even at 38,000 kms, the front tires are starting to show wear, but the back ones are still good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 07-27-2008, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Although the alignment may be correct, it kinda sounds like a toe in/toe out situation since they are wearing so bad. If they were scalloped, I would say shocks.....but I would check them anyways. I have run Bridgestones and Michelin's and much prefer michelin's. Something just doesn't ring right with that kinda tire wear.......I would investigate further.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Was it loaded when aligned? did whoever aligned it assume it would be used loaded? When I performed alignments, I was instructed to have it loaded the way it would be driven, or account for that in adjustments. just something to think about.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Member

The alinement could be off the truck was loaded heavier than what I have the truck because it was set up as a service truck so it had a constant load all the time.

I run recap drives because they are cheaper than virgin tires. I also do need the traction the LMT400s that were on the truck would get me stuck on a banana peal. The General tires I found out are hard rubber it is why they wear so good. It is why the General tires I took off didn't wear like the Bridgestones are. The General tires didn't handle that well.

They don't make the General LMT400 or LMT series Continental replaced them with a different tread design. They offer a 225/70R19.5 in a G rated tire I only need a F rated tire for a front axle.

I guess I will look into the XZE Michys I like Michelin tires but was told the XZEs squirm like h*ll. The true trac in the diff doesn't help because the true trac is a fairly tight limited slip its not too far off of a detroit locker. I get some under/oversteer. You power into a corner you can feel the duals pushing hard.

What I'am worried about trying to rotate the Bridgstones on the truck now is they will thump and be out of round again. I think the tires were defective when I bought them. Usually you can run a tire unbalanced the Stones bounced something bad never had tires that were that bad.

Topspeed around here is 50mph with 68mph max and its not freeway driving.

I might just run the Stones untill they get to the point that they need replacing. I just can't run them too far or I can't get a casing for recaps.

The reason why I went with Bridgestones the first time was I had okay sucess with them in other tire sizes. Goodyears I had nothing but bad luck. I had good sucess with Toyo but all the websites only recommend the 19.5 Toyo All Position for trailer use.

Ya I drive a little hard but a tire designed for high scrub and tough use sure isn't living up to its name.

I do like the 19.5 tires I will NEVER go back to 16 inch rubber again even if I got a 3/4 ton P/U or 1 ton srw I would put Rickson wheels with 19.5 rubber. The peace of mind that your not going to blow a sidewall and the firm handling and control make the 19.5s worth it.

Just have to find a good all position steer tire that will last longer than 20,000kms.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My gut tells me it is not primarily the tires......it has to do with the toe-in/toe-out or something mechanical we are missing here. Even crappy tires should not wear the inside like that......
Old 07-28-2008, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Both ribs are worn just the inside Rib is worn 3/32s more than the outside. I replaced the balljoints last year and we never moved or touched the tapered cam bushings that adjust camber. None of the steering has been touched since I bought the truck I don't think the truck has had the wheel alignment changed.

When you run your hand across the tread of the tire there is no real signs that the center ribs of the tread are being scuffed off no sharp edges the tell tale sign that the tire is toed out by a great amount. I have tried all tire pressures and currently at 80 psi Ford recommends 75.

When I went to get the tires balanced the tire shop said you have bent rims

The Bridgestones rode like they were square or like a recap that had thick spots. They were horrible for atleast 3 months and the tread squirm wasn't fun.

The Generals never rode like that they were balanced and didn't have that much lead to balance them. I removed the Generals because they had weather checking and they had 30% tread left. The drive tires were too slippery in the rain so I changed them out last march for the bandags. Stop on a hill with wet pavement you could feel the tires spin with very little effort.

A friend of mine who operates a small tow truck eats through tires on his old 97 F-Superuty (F-450) every 3 months. He is trying all kinds of tires for steers to see what lasts his truck has a full locker so he gets lots of locker steer. He wore out a set of Michelin LTX ATs on the duals in no time. The LTX ATs are hard rubber they wear like iron they didn't last long has to be only 4 months at the most.

The bandags are fine on my truck they are at 50% and howl like a SOB they have about 24,000kms (15,000 miles) on them I should get to atleast next spring with them. I won't be getting the gripper cap again they howl worse than a super swamper mud tire. I have run bandags for drives for 14 years first time ever using the gripper cap.

One thing to keep in mind the highway I travel on sees thousands of trucks in a year. You have B trains and lowbeds grossing 140,000lbs it ruts the road over time. When it rains you can see the water flowing in channels on parts of the road. I can feel rut steer in my truck some corners you can feel the truck wiggle as the steer tires are trying to fight the ruts. The last time the highway was resurfaced was 15 or more years ago. Hot pavement and a loaded Super B its going to affect the road surface.

I will see if the tire shop I deal with can handle my truck on the alignement rack. The tire shop does all sizes of tires and are a mechanical shop but most places can't do wheel alignments on dually trucks.

What I was hoping to find was a online deal on 225-70R19.5 rubber but no luck some on EBay but the cost of shipping is too much. Tires from the USA I can get for 100-130 dollars cheaper get ate up in shipping costs.

Bridgestone used to make a closed shoulder drive tread but they don't make it anymore it would be better suited for my use. With the curves in the roads here a rib tread follows the ruts in the road. A rib tire is good if all your doing is going straight.

Have to phone and see what tires are worth

But as I asked what Brands of tire have you had any luck with is Michelin worth the extra money. I know one of my friends runs a truck with 245-19.5 tires a low pro freightliner tried Michelins and they didn't last but is having good luck with the same model Bridgestones I'am using which is one of the reasons why I tried the R250. He said the XZE Michelins felt really squishy and wore out quick.

Maybe I will try Toyo I'am definatly not going to take a 800 dollar chance on Bridgestone again.

In the USA the Toyo is 224 each I will probably be looking at 330 each locally not including tax and other enviromental fees.

Just a little disgusted with what Bridgestone says and recommends
Old 07-28-2008, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced the Goodyears on my Kodiak with Goodrides this year. Yes they are a Chinese tire and I've run them on my p/u's with very good results. And they are alot cheaper than anything else out there.