Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I know about the Westlake/Goodride tires they are okay I would go with Ohtsu before the Westlake brand.

I phoned one of the tire shops the Toyos are 323 dollars I will find out what Michelins are worth tommorow.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think I paid $165 for the goodrides.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbi View Post
I replaced the Goodyears on my Kodiak with Goodrides this year. Yes they are a Chinese tire and I've run them on my p/u's with very good results. And they are alot cheaper than anything else out there.

I am getting to the point of having to replace my Goodyears on the Kodiak as well. Those Goodyears are ridiculously high priced.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tire Update

Gravel Rat -

It seems like you may be moving away from the Continentals, but I went out and checked. The new fronts are HSR models, and are really performing well. I remember we picked these up when the LMTs were discontinued. They were $307 each out the door in September of 2007. Might be a little more than you need, but they may last longer than you expect.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I'am going to see if I can get Hankook AH11 they are a new or realitivly new long wearing steer tire Hankook has designed.

I know the Michelins are overpriced and probably won't last aslong. The Continental tires have had recalls on them. I phoned about Toyos yesterday they want 323 for them. The Bridgestones I'am not going back to.

Getting rid of the Bridgstones are high on my list because yesterday I noticed one of them started thumping then it went away. Then it rained and boy was it slippery. Even when the tires were new you really had to watch on wet roads the tires wouldn't grip worth a darn. I was going to get them siped but the tire shop said it wasn't a good idea.

I wouldn't run a Ohtsu for a steer tire I know a few guys with class 8s and say the Ohtsu's are good for drives but not steers. The Westlake brand tires peal off like cheap paint they are okay for drives but not steers same with Double Coin.

The problem with the Hankooks I will have a hard time finding somebody to mount them. Tire shops really don't like mounting tires you didn't buy from them. The tire shop that can get the Toyo tires are not used to dealing with 19.5 wheels so they will have troubles mounting 19.5s. The tire shop I do use does it the old way using tire spoons like 22.5-24.5 truck tires.

I looked at Yokohama but their 225-19.5 tire pretty well has the same tread pattern as the R250 and the Yokohama is 1/2 inch shorter in diameter which means the revs per mile which means the tire turns 7 times more in 1 mile than the Bridgestone. That means the tire wears faster.

When I looked at the spec's on the Michelin XZE they weigh less than any other tires which means they have less rubber and steel in them. Read the RV sites and the Michelins are known for problems.

Not many choices when it comes to 225-19.5 rubber and its all expensive here in Canada. Minimum 300 dollars a tire doesn't matter what brand.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

we run Hercules tires on most of our rigs from F250's all the way to our dumps and trailers (F550 included)
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I was looking at those too they are on my list the one tire shop carries Hercules tires.

When it comes to steer tires you have to be carefull to choose a tire that will handle well. When you have twisty roads it peals tires off quickly.

I'am trying to find a tire that won't hydroplane as bad as the R250s and something that grips a wet road better. The R250s would break free all of a sudden on a wet road in a corner.

The Hankooks are well siped tires and the shoulder ribs are siped to let the water out.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Went to the one tire shop today and ordered the Toyos they should be instock late next week. I looked into the Kumho brand they were 260 dollars each the Toyos are 325 the Bridgestones that I have on the truck the price increased to 365 each. Rip off Bridgestone Last year at the other tire shop they were only 303 each.

I hate to see what Michelins are worth if Bridgestone is that high Michelins are probably 380-390 a tire.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gotta have good rubbers 'cause accidents are very costly.....
Old 07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These tires that Ford has been using are better than the old "zipper" side walls, Gravel Rat can attest to that remark, I had that issue once on my old '91 450.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96