Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2001, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf clean-up customers are driving me nuts

i'll give you a little backround 1st, we do about a 140 leaf cleanup in the fall, blow beds,weeed if needed and remove every last leaf, we charge by the hour ($150 per hr), we sent up our leaf schedule usuing the date we did them the previous year, for instance if Mrs. Jones had her clean-up done on Dec. 15 in 2000, we send this years proposal with dec 15 the target date, this is clearly spelled out in the agreement. Now i have people who are scheduled later this month screeming why i have'nt gotteb there yet and its rediculous that there leaves have'nt been picked up yet. i've just about had enough,i did it this way so the phone would be quiet at night, i even added to my answering machine that the clean-up would be done on or around the date show on proposal and i still have 5 pissed people a day. Amazing how people have nothing better to do than ***** about leaves. anyone else in these shoes, i sure hope not because it sucks, thought i could take it easy in the fall. Tony
Old 12-13-2001, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

are you getting to them on your target date? if so, remind them that it is the same day that you were there last year and that is why you sent them the prop. with the target date. And remember, You can't please everyone! ->(to lift your spirits......)-> If you don't like the unhappy people you could fill out an app. with McDonalds and make $7.00/hr, oh wait people ***** at you there also!!
Old 12-13-2001, 12:53 AM
casey

I have a select list of 3 customers who will be recieving Roundup balloons on their lawns for rude, ignorant phone calls regarding late leaf clean-ups.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Casey holly **** !
I cant beleive that!
I thought i was the only one with that idea
I only have one on my list but she has been there for 2 years I guess i dont have the ***** to do it.lol

Last edited by paul; 12-13-2001 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

$150 an hour, how many per the crew?
What is you system to do 140 leaf jobs?

First, I hate to give target dates. With weather always changing, it's like trying to fly out of an airport during a blizzard.

He's one for you. Customer calls and is mad why we haven't done his leaves yet. I call him back to see what he wanted. got ahold of him 1/2 hour after he called. He said he called to find out why we haven't done his leaves yet, then said I figured it out when I looked though my stack of papers in my out box. Your contract and check were still in it. In an envalope with check, signed and stamped. He said well I guess I found out why and was just going to call you back to tell you but you beat me to the call.

I thought it was funny.

Back to your problem, to me it sounds like your over booked if customers are calling to why you havent been there yet.

I try to schedule 2 leaf clean ups in the Fall per a customer. This way they have a choice of 1 or 2 and I charge by T&M. Then if they choose 1 they know why we haven't been there, they will try to give some kind of "Do my leaves after this date" kind of thing.

It's not perfect but I have only had a few calls and none were realy bithcing, more just curious, or trying to get scheduled.

Maby this eased your greiff a little.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i give the target date with the understanding that weather is a hugh factor, this has worked great in the past, i quess i was just saying the people have become very impatient over the years, people who i have done for years without cause are bitching, unbelievable, casey i hear a super soaker does wonders as well . T
Old 12-13-2001, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i can kind of understand why they would be pissed. i usually do 2 cleanups like mentioned above at each house. now if youve already done them once, i understand why youre mad, but if you havent done them at all yet, i can see why they are nervous with snow breathing down their necks.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Round-up balloons

This has always been a great way to ge back to clints who are extreemly rude! I thought that it was only done in Joisey though!! After all, we do have bad reps!

We still have just under 150 clean-ups to go. Some people have called just to make sure we'll be out again. Turf is fine for most if not all, we just don't touch the beds until the end.

Bob
Old 12-13-2001, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Roundup balloons? How professional is that? Do you really think that helps the industry, let alone your business?

Comments like that just about pinpoint your age and how serious you really take your business.

Chuck
Old 12-13-2001, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lol, Chuck I think it was a joke. I seriously doubt the truth in that. At least you didn't close it.

Hank